Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New PA12 owner help?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi fellow Hobie owners! So I took delivery of a new PA12 a few days ago and have been having some issues. Let me start off by saying I'm amazed with this boat and I haven't got it in the water yet only because it has some problems.

So I unwraped it and started to check everything to make sure it worked and found out the rudder was binding...yes it was down.. and it binded only when I moved the handle left. So I called the dealer OEX in CA who was very helpful and told me to make sure the cables were free and clear. So I did and no luck, I then figured out the handle was binding with a plastic bracket where the cables mounted to this too hours as I'm not a expert in yaks. Long story short a bracket was installed upside down causing the control arm to gouge the plastic and not move.

So here is where this gets a little side ways I called the dealer and they told me to call Hobie so I did. I spoke with a guy named Jacque in customer support who was full of excuses and really didn't care that I just spent 2600 on a boat that I couldn't use or the fact that I spent all day trying to figure this out while hunching over a yak on the ground. I asked about their quality control and he said they are supposed to check the yacks after assembly to make sure they are straight but couldn't explain how this happened other than human error. Now im a super nice guy and Jacque Cousteau's customer service was all out rude all most like it was my problem and not Hobies fault he never once said sorry for may problems or their mistake.

So Got back with OEX and they should be sending me a new bracket, but what about my time and troubles? Shoot I just paid 2600 to make my freaking back hurt!

Any advise as how to make this right?

Post subject: Re: New PA12 owner help?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, you started off badly. Any problems with Hobie customer service should be directed to Hobie, first. There are people there that do care. Using a public forum to put the "bad word" on an employee probably isn't going to endear you to many. A backfire, sort of.

What's done is done. I'd wait on the replacement bracket and attempt to fix it. In the meantime, see if you can get someone at Hobie to send you the PDF file for the assembly schematic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That really isn't how we handled your issue at all Sburton1 - when you called I explained that yes - the boat is supposed to be checked - I did apologize and when you explained that you had fixed it by swapping the items which was installed incorrectly I didn't know what else you needed.
You mentioned that you wanted a replacement part - and I explained that OEX would be the contact and that we would speak to them once they opened (It was first thing in the morning CA time).

Sorry that you took my help the wrong way - we always rely on dealers to help with warranties.

I'm told by the warranty manager here in our office that he has already spoken to OEX about getting you the needed items.

As far as anything beyond that I can't say - I understand your frustration in getting a brand new kayak that didn't work when un-wrapped. This should have been corrected at the dealer level, as they are supposed to rig each product they sell - but when things get shipped because buyer buys a boat from an out of state dealer, this very important step get missed.

These are the facts - not excuses - I'm sure that most everyone on these forums can confirm that we try our hardest to make the boats perfect, and to support the dealers and customers with anything we build that isn't 100%
Again, sorry for our conversation this morning not going perfect. I'm very sorry that you feel that way about how you were treated, and I do apologize again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:11 pm 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

Tom Kirkman wrote:
Well, you started off badly. Any problems with Hobie customer service should be directed to Hobie, first. There are people there that do care. Using a public forum to put the "bad word" on an employee probably isn't going to endear you to many. A backfire, sort of.

What's done is done. I'd wait on the replacement bracket and attempt to fix it. In the meantime, see if you can get someone at Hobie to send you the PDF file for the assembly schematic.

If I could add one more thing. Contacting Hobie first if there is an issue isn't the correct thing to do really... Check with your dealer for help first and you will get someone to help out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I guess the real issue is Hobie failed to check the Boat OEX failed to check the boat and i'm stuck putting the work in fixing it? Just doesn't seem to add up. And yes the reason I'm posting here is you were very short with me on the phone. What is a customer supposed to do when the dealer tells him to call the company then the company tells you to call the dealer? Yes OEX is going to send me a new bracket, but as a customer do I still feel shorthanded? Yes. My time is just as valuable as yours. On a side note the OEX guys have been super helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guess that is one reason I always buy from a local dealer. When I say local, I must drive 20 miles to get to the dealer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well sometimes we all just have to take a step back and look at the positive of each/every situation, regardless how frustrated we might be at the time.

As a new Hobie owner, you now have the experience of how the bracket and cables work. You also have the contact info for any future queries that may pop up.

Also, this post can help other new owners/users on what to look for when encountering the same scenario.

Congrats and best wishes on your new ride.

Be safe and always wear protection out on the water!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I checked the other side that bracket is also upside down and slightly binding, I flipped it over and that side is freed up. I'll post some pics so people know what to look for. It seems that the hull is curved there and that's the reason for the curved bracket...?? The top post comes down at a 90 degree angle and the curved bracket offsets the hull curve...? My arms are nice bruised and cut up this thing is not fun to work on due to the tight space but whatever I'll be fishing when I get the replacement and install it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

this is what the binding looks like

Last edited by sburton1 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

notice the slight curve in the bracket, this should be installed curving downward at least on my PA12.