Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stake out pole
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I see some guys are using stake out poles to maintain position on kayaks. I was wondering if anyone had any diy ideas on how to build one. I know its basically a rod with a sharp usually metal point on one end and maybe a t or y on the other. I was just wondering if anyone found sources for the components at home depot or lowes etc. Thanks.

BB

Post subject: Re: Stake out pole
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lowe's has Schedule 80 PVC pipe in 10 foot lengths. They also have slip-on "T's". We tried a 5 foot section with the "T" glued on with PVC Cement. It was cheap, easy and a good way to see what would work for us. We cut the piece in half with a hack saw at a 45* angle. This gave us a sharp point, of sorts. We later decided to make it longer due to the water being deeper than we thought.

We used 3/4" schedule 80 PVC and a schedule 40 T. Cost was about $6. Sure beats the $50-$80 for the fiberglass poles. BUT you get what you pay for...

Bill in Spokane, WA
'09 Outback
'10 Outback
'12 Pro Angler 12

Hobie Outback Olive
Hobie PA 12'
Hobie i9S Sage
Hobie i9S Sage
Native Water Craft Mariner 12.5 Propel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A 3/4" piece of solid fiberglass rod from Graingers makes a nice stake out pole. But it would help to know what features you want

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto on the solid fiberglass rod! PVC will fail on you at the worst time. Be sure to put a steel point on the fiberglass or it will splinter. Not sure what kind of bottom you will be putting your SOP into, but we have oysters down here. The fiberglass has held up for me going on 5 years or so.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

good lead on the grainger fiberglass rod stock part dynaform 870690. Any leads on the metal tip? Thanks again mr green and island speed 2001.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is the best one that I have found, it's pricey but works great and will last.http://www.wanganchor.com/shop-online/stainless-steel-tip-2/
If you are going to be anchoring in soft bottom than the steel tip is not necessary but you will want it for any type of hard bottom. It won't last as long but you could also just coat the tip with epoxy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I built a DIY stake out pole (SOP) using PVC. I used 2 solid oak dowels in the center (Home Depot $4 each). That helped keep the pole flex down perfectly. I was fine using this SOP for a while. The only negative was getting it to penetrate hard bottoms. I tried several point methods. Also the bottom mud (especially in intercoastal fishing) seemed to not rinse off the pvc when pulling it out, so you always dripped some mud in the boat.

I ended up getting the Wang SOP and now use the PVC SOP as a backup. While the Wang SOP can be pricey at $80, to me it has been well worth it. I stow it in the left upper rod holder slot and it fits perfectly on that side of the boat.

The metal tip penetrates the bottom well and this pole doesn't have the problem with bottom mud sticking to it. I'm not against making your own SOP. After using the Wang pole, a DIY SOP doesn't come close. I will eventually get a second Wang SOP as I've installed a dual anchor trolley setup on my PA. That will allow me to hold any position as long as the water is shallow enough to use the poles.

Just my two cents worth on the subject...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

SRAces wrote:
I will eventually get a second Wang SOP

The 3/4" fiberglass rod from graingers is basically the same thing. Buy the S/S tip from Wang, and add your own push end and you could save a few dollars if you like a little DIY. The rod comes in 10' length so you can have the longer length or cut it down to whatever length you desire. I cut mine to 6' and made a second 4' one for shallow ponds and rivers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OR, keep it 10' long and add a T handle on the other end. Then you have a push pole :mrgreen: