Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i have sailed h16, h18, miracle 20 but never anything with a spinnaker.
with a partner we are now racing a 2008 tiger. the ONLY tiger and the only cat with with a spinnaker in our area.
a typical weekend race would consist of 1 h17, 2-4 h18 and our tiger. our crew weight is around 380 lbs
i am looking for some guidance on basic sailing angles for the tiger as compared to the old h18.
1) upwind should we be sailing about the same angle as the 18 but going faster or...?
2) rounding A reaching to B how do we decide if spin should be launched?
3) launching spin do we need to head downwind first or this just dependant on wind speed
4) we have separate spinnaker halyard and tack line, which should we do first and does this vary by wind speed (we have been hoisting first and setting tack second, we had the spin wrap behind the main in medium wind while i thought i was headed almost straight downwind)
5) downwind on the old h18 we would sail with burgy about 90 accepting that a burgy would be indicating more apparent wind should the boat be on about the same course or heading higher or lower than the old h18?
6)judging gybe, on the h18 sailing with the burgy at about 90 degrees we would gybe when the mark was abeam or slightly aft of abeam.

i have looked through the forums and taming your tiger and the other guide on the hobie support.
as i said earlier there are no other cats with spins so boat v boat comparisons is impossible and while some of our sailors have used spins on mono hulls the f18 design seems quite different.

thanks for reading answers would be appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1 slightly higher and a little faster.
2 light wind under 10 knots ok to bring the spin up on the reach. Above 10 leave it in the bag till you are going down.
3 in heavier wind turn down and travel the main out to ease hoisting for the crew. in light wind you can set it on proper course.
4 tack out first. this can be done early on the reach and wait till you turn down to hoist.
when taking down gather the retrieval line pull it tight and then blow the halyard. pull it into the bag and when it gets tight let the tack go. the skipper can take up the lazy sheet when the douse is going to keep it from going under the boat.
5 you will be sailing a little lower but much faster than the H-18. your down wind angle will be pretty much the same as your upwind angle. approx 130 to 160 degrees off true wind direction.
let the boat power up and lift the hull then gently turn slightly down wind. as the hull starts to come down turn slightly back into the wind. small smooth turns are best for speed.
6 Don't wait till your at 90 to the mark as you will be too hot to the mark. if you are coming in too hot you can put about 1 foot of tack out and flatten out the spin to try to make it.

Hope this helps a little.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

helps alot, thanks rich :)
re 6: is letting out the tack what flattens spin and we still trim for verge of curl or are we doing something different with sheet also
any other tips for us tiger newbs are welcome
edit: do we need to turn downwind to douse when we are approaching c mark

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

if you are coming in hot you will want to over sheet a bit to flatten the spin. put the crew back on the back on the trap and travel out the main about 9 inches.

Also never let the main sheet loose when the spin is up! This can break the mast quickly.
Also never let the main sheet loose when the spin is up! This can break the mast quickly.

Turning to almost dead down will help in getting the spin back in but once it is colapsed and to half way in the bag you can start to round up for the mark.

also there is a large advantage to letting the jib sheet out before you make the turn from up to down wind in heavy wind.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

a few years have passed since my first post here and the info in the replies has been very helpful. i have stayed racing but mentally have not been as engaged as i used to but before it's too late i would like to get better on my tiger. so hereare some things i still have trouble with and have not found answers to.

i am still sailing against a mix of boats: my tiger, h18, h17, h16 and now a wave. we use the portsmouth standard number not adjusted for windspeeds. we sail on lake winnipeg in a bay. we almost never have steady wind especially if it's strong. recently 21 knots gusting to 30+ (we would have raced 15 years ago but not now) also in strong wings the waves are big, steep and close together. very common to have the stern up on one wave and the bow digging in to the bottom of the next one so downwind can be a very wild ride.

on moderate wind days i do best last saturday the first race wind was moderate single trap upwind , we we're able to find the downwind angle to get good speed flying the hull a good bit of the way. we finished first after handicap applied.

the second race: wind is down no trap required upwind, had to head further up to get any speed with spin, we kept the main and jib set for upwind as i understand is correct. downwind angles we're not as good we were higher without significant speed. a 16 found the best angles finishing second boat and taking first after handicap, we finished first but we're 3rd after handicap.

third race: wind down more basically sailing back and forth across the course to have any speed at all (downwind with spin up) finished 5th after handicap.

sorry i don't have actual wind readings. we don't usually start races in less than about 5 knots but of course our winds can vary alot during the morning.

question 1) is there a point in light wind where i stop trying for speed downwind withe main and jib in tight and set them for downwind or is it that the tiger is not competitive against the 16 and 18 in those lighter conditions? (i'm pretty sure it's me so don't be too hard on me)

question 2) are rick whites videos and books still still applicable or are they outdated?

suggestions would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Be nice to the wave.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Question 1) Yes. There is a windspeed below which you have to soak low and sail the boat like an H18 with the apparent wind at roughly 90°. What that cutoff speed is depends on boat tuning, crew weight, and conditions. I'd guess somewhere around 5-6kts. Also, boat trim (weight distribution) becomes more critical in the lighter winds. Always try to minimize your wake by not letting the transoms dig in.

Question 2) Its been a while since I've read them, but Rick's books would probably apply for all but medium and higher wind downwind spinnaker sailing. I'd also strongly recommend Frank Bethwaite's books. Be forewarned though - they are not super easy reads, but full of excellent information and advice.

Regardless of wind speed, you always need to be sure to keep flow on backside of main and jib. You can judge this by how the leach telltales fly. On downwind runs I always have jib out significantly. Main is fairly tight in high wind and gradually loosened a bit as wind becomes lighter. Traveller always stays centered unless I'm over-stood in high wind and can't make the mark.

Due to more efficient foils, hull, and sailplan, a properly sailed Tiger should still beat any of the other boats mentioned regardless of wind speed.

cramsailing.com