Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

as i mentioned earlier and from continuous reading i have some soft spots that are in need of repair.....what size bit should i use to drill these holes??? I also read where you should tape off your bit so that it serves as a stopper at about 3/16 from the tip of the bit. Should your breather holes be smaller than the hole in the middle and if so--what size for those???
Next question is what product do you recommend to cover the holes and then what steps(grits) will i need to sand them down?? My next question is about the NON-SKID portion of the boat---everybody says to avoid filling here, but it is soft so i am gonna have to......Obviously after filling the holes you will be sanding off the non-skid, BUT if you are not supposed to walk on your hulls than what is the big deal????
Next i am gonna probably paint to cover the repairs and bring the 1983 back to a pretty shine!! How much of the 1 part Brightside and primer will i need to purchase to cover my 14??? Obviously this will be the first time for all of this so any tips you have learned are greatly appreciated!!Thanks and Please help a new guy out that is excited to finally get sailing!!

Post subject: paint...
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i dont know much about the hole sizes and all that. what i do know is i never walk on those hulls aside from when i might be jumping onto the dock or something. im not like sailing and then decide to go walk and check out the bridle. that seems like asking for a capsize. (maybe thats cuz i weigh in at 190#)

i mean if you REALLY want the grip, interlux sells addons you can mix in to prvide a soft grip for your feet. it obviously wont look the same, but it will work.

in terms of paint amount, i did 3 coats everywhere with interlux brightsides, and 2 quarts was fine for the sides of the hulls but would have only barely finished the top, if even. i had another quart of different color for the topsides, so it didnt matter. so basically, if youre doing 2 colors, buy 3, and if youre doing 1 color, start with two. you can always go back to west marine and get more.
o btw i just bought one thing of primer for my 14. its really thin.
and in terms of tips, check out the "roll and tip" method online, or on the interlux website, or search this forum. it works beautifully. i didnt believe it until a month ago.

good luck, peter

Post subject: Breather holes
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

Breather holes should be very small. 1/8"? Drilling the vents in the non-skid hardly shows and is easy to hide. After doing the repair, re-drill the breathers a bit to clear the epoxy. Then fill with gel coat.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had an idea and wanted to run it by everybody. I just purchased an older 14 and it has some soft spots in the tops of the hulls. If the soft spots are caused by the foam pulling away from the glass, could you fill the void with the self adhesive spray foam they sell at home supply shops? It would adhere to the glass and the old foam and fill the void without adding much weight. Just a thought.

Kevin

Post subject: Delaminations
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

No. The home expanding foam is not water proof and expanding foam will force the layers apart. There are many threads in these forums about it.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Bummer. I have seen injectable foam that isnt expanding and of course the holes would be sealed up. Of well, the best laid plans of mice and men right? :) Thank you for the answer