Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My father in laws new tandem islands' starboard AMA bounces more than the port one in the waves. It appears the bungee is looser. Is there away to tightened it. We can't find anything regarding this in the manual

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yes, you can tighten it. the bungies are knotted inside fittings screwed into sockets on the ama. You can use a needle-nose pliers, Hobie's made for the purpose tool, or (my favorite) make one yourself (search my posts for "tool for removing Hobie's screw in fittings"). Once the socket is removed, untie the knot, retie it a little shorter, and screw the socket back into the ama.

There are several different methods for improving the function of the bungee, just search "double bungee method". I have stopped using bungees altogether and now just lash them in place.

cheers,

j

the TI3 rear ama mod

Post subject: Thicker bungee
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mentioned to my dealer that my ama bungees on the TI were, also, not very strong to hold the akas tight. He ordered thicker bungees and replacement bungee 'ama plugs' They made a world of difference. However, they are very strong and require quite a pull to snap on and off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome Aboard Lily it,

In case you can't find those posts, here are some of the recent innovative ideas and solutions to the loose Ama bungees - aka A.B.D.
Ama Bounce Dance :roll: .

Though Hobie switched (2010-2012) from using 1/4" to 5/16th's bungee for the Amas, I've found that a single 5/16th's bungee is still not strong enough to hold the Amas tight up against the Akas when going through waves or chop. To my knowledge, there's never been a reported case of either type actually breaking. For me, it was more about keeping them up and eliminating the annoying knocking sounds :x .

I've done 4 of my system so far on friends TI's and everyone likes them. On the most recent one I added a short web "pull tab" on the inside coil to help pull the second bungee over the Aka post.

Don't know, but perhaps we'll see some variation of these ideas on the 2013 boats :).

Good luck.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=42732&p=178504#p178504
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40730

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Twave makes a great point. Double bungles are great and it's not necessary to tighten them to death.

Overtightening just racks your knuckles, wears the bungles faster and stresses the plastic plugs.