Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my first post here - I apologize if this has been discussed before.

Since a Mirage drive mimics the natural wing motions of a swimming penguin, it seems to me that the flapping fins are an open invitation for a shark or Orca attack. Is there any correlation between drive type - paddle, Mirage, eVolve, or sail - and predator attacks?

I realize that penguins are a southern hemisphere prey animal, but the Mirage motion appears identical to waving a flag at a bull to provoke a charge, so the shark's reaction shouldn't depend on whether or not penguins are potentially present.

Does anyone care to comment?

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited by John E Davies on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Worse it mimics a seal :lol:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

If I was a shark I'd at least check it out

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:lol: :lol: Thats funny!! :lol: :lol:

2012 Pro Angler
Take a kid fishing!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not here in Utah.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The number one shark attack victim is still the surfer in a wet suit.

Paddle boarder attacks seem to be increasing.

Yellows and blue seem to be common yak colors for sharks attacking yaks and paddleboards.

So far there doesn't seem to be a preference for Mirage Kayaks.

Possibly we are POing the sharks with so many of us in their fishing/hunting areas.

Also, kayak fishers with killed/gutted and bleeding fish in, on their yaks or being towed could be a big target.

Two weekends ago, a friend went Salmon fishing off of Bodega about 6 miles out and saw 3 kayaks that were pedaled with one or two gutted salmon either on the yaks or being towed behind the yaks.

To me that is basically chumming with the salmon and the Hobies in the red triangle re Great White Attacks.

John E Davies wrote:
This is my first post here - I apologize if this has been discussed before.

Since a Mirage drive mimics the natural wing motions of a swimming penguin, it seems to me that the flapping fins are an open invitation for a shark or Orca attack. Is there any correlation between drive type - paddle, Mirage, eVolve, or sail - and predator attacks?

I realize that penguins are a southern hemisphere prey animal, but the Mirage motion appears identical to waving a flag at a bull to provoke a charge, so the shark's reaction shouldn't depend on whether or not penguins are potentially present.

Does anyone care to comment?

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I hate to say it but, yes to may be? There has been two GWS attacks on mirage drive yaks in northern Cali in the past two years. Check on YouTube and you'll see a long video of Aussie mirage yaks being circled by a large GWS, they had to link up to a power boat for safty.

Personally, I've not had any shark issues in So. Cal, but I've had sea lions nearly jump into my yak trying to figure out what I am.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

John E Davies wrote:
Who knows? At least that particular shark seems to have a yen for the paddling kayaks. Maybe it's correlated with kayak length or displacement?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sometimes I wonder the same thing about 'gators while pedaling the lakes and rivers of Central Florida.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Flip wrote:
Sometimes I wonder the same thing about 'gators while pedaling the lakes and rivers of Central Florida.

"A Burmese python wraps around an American alligator in 2009 in Florida's Everglades National Park. On January 20, 2012, the National Academy of Science reported that the growth of the park's python population correlated with a sharp decrease in population of the park's mammals. "

I have a fly fishing friend, who relocated to the Jacksonville/St Augustine area, and I was on a consulting trip in the area, and I went fly fishing with him.

We were fishing for Reds in some back water. I hooked a large Red and was trying to get him to the boat with my 9'8" fly rod. I hear my friend and the guide saying you have about a minute to get him into the boat before your fish becomes brunch for a gator.

A Steelhead fly rod is built for finese not bulling in fish, but between the 3 of us we got the big Red into the boat and watched the hungry gator swimming back into the tules or whatever you call the weeds.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

Note that the image used in the post is not a Mirage kayak and the shark appears to be interested.

Sharks like to bite stuff in the water... plain and simple.

One correlation can be made... there are more Hobie Mirage Kayaks than ever before. The incident rate is bound to go up in parallel to general encounters that are being reported.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When you in da hood, respect da hood.

It'll be interesting to see if it's "the boat" or simply more peeps pushing further into more habitat. I'd be surprised if yakkers = "dinner bell" any more than car campers become bear snacks.

Another factor is that there's LOTS more cameras everywhere, waterproof models too. Easier ability to "report" an "incident" with a quick snapshot and social media doesn't mean there's more fish in the sea -- just more tourists and folks at work goldbricking on Facebook.

Still, be prudent.

Don't eyeball Crips or flash fake gangs signs at groups of similarly dressed young men. It may cause aggravation.

Do not steal a pit bull's tennis ball. Growling is a sign of aggravation.

Yes, Morray eels DO bite. Look, but don't corner 'em.

Don't leave snackie cakes in the car, sleeping bag etc. or you tempt Yogi to do very bad things.

Spearos know not to hang a bloody game bag on their belts, just as snorkelers at Hanauma Bay Hawaii learn not to put fishy snackes in their board shorts.

:mrgreen: