Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone put one of these on an AI? We don't have any outboard fittngs to use for the back straps as shown in your TI pics..

This seat looks great!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can fit padeyes to the front end of the stern cargo bay on the AI.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello narwhal,

I don't own an AI so I'm not sure what attachment points the Hobie seats use on your boat. Perhaps from these new photographs you can see how I installed the second Surf to Summit seat in the front of my TI.

I'm still using the existing Hobie Eye (Part# 71116001) screw in fitting for the two front web strap clips, but behind the seat, I installed two new ss Eyestraps for the back clips. These metal Eyestraps are very similar in size to the ones in the middle of a TI Ama. I purchased them at Ace Hardware for less money than at West Marine, and used ss 3/4" x 10/24 bolts with fender washers and loc-nuts on the inside.

I just wish my arms were a wee bit longer :? because reaching way up there through the hatch opening to hold the nuts was a real bugger! Tying a retrieval cord to the end of my open end wrench however, kept me from "losing it" :x (and actually losing it) in between the foam insulation and the side of the hull.
(Note to self:) Get Arm Stretcher for Birthday :wink:.

Hope this helps you out, good luck and let me know if I can be of any futher assistance. It's well worth the effort I can assure you of that.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The rod holders are there but the padeyes should squeeeze right in front of them.

Or you could swap out the Hobie bungee cleats for Hobie padeyes, and use those.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thank you Chris for posting this picture. This really helps to show how easy it would be to attach a Surf to Summit or any other multi strap type of seat on an AI.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Guy's and Gal's Finally got time to take pictures of the new seats, sure a lot dryer and more comfortable than any thing we have tried yet.

By larryhts1 at 2012-07-21

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Instead of installing pad eyes, why wouldn't this work just by wrapping the rearward straps around the xbar and back onto themselves?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You could, but you're likely to scratch up your bars this way. And the clips would need to be larger.

I think I would put the padeyes just behind the bars, on that high, solid gunwale.

If I could afford such a seat, of course,.. :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sun e Sailor, I think your notions of human anatomy could do with revision
Quote:
I just wish my arms were a wee bit longer :? because reaching way up there through the hatch opening to hold the nuts was a real bugger!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all. Just joined the forum although I've been a lurker for years. Anyway, just wanted to share pics of the Surf to Summit GTX Expedition seat attachment on an AI. I ordered the seat by phone and asked for the "Speed Clips" option, (no extra charge), rather than the brass clips. Gotta say, I love the simplicity of the speed clips. In front I attached to the padeyes that the stock seat uses. In the rear I attached to the fore padeyes for the cargo well bungee. As you can see in the pic, on the port side the rear cup well gets impinged upon, but I don't use it so I don't mind. The seat feels great when lawn sailing. I'll report more on comfort after doing 50+ miles in 5 days on Lake Powell, (southern Utah), in early September. (Hope my images work.)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

itchyBrother,
Welcome aboard, and another S-2-S convert too boot! You're going to love sailing your new boat even more :) .

Wow Lake Powell, I've only see it in pictures. Must be a beautiful place to sail. Being a Floridian I think I might miss the ocean though.

Your pictures didn't come through, try using http://imageshack.us. and send again. I always "preview" my posts before selecting the submit option. If everything is the way you want it to look, you'll see it first before sending it out.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are your photos. When you bring the image up on your Picasa site, right click it and select "Copy image URL" from the dropdown menu. That will give you the URL that you need to paste into your post. Works with Chrome and probably with Firefox, as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks sun E sailor and chrisj for the photo assistance. I couldn't get the Picasa link to work with Firefox or IE9. imageshack seems to be the ticket for a noob like me.

Here are some pics of a project I did last year to treat my bilge bottom syndrome. I took a plastic stacking lawn chair and cut it down to a little seat and zip tied high-density foam pads to the front corners and bottom. It got me 3.5 to 4 inches off the poop deck and kept me fairly dry with the stock Hobie seat, but I had scrunching of the seat pad after a day and a half and wasn't 100% dry. Now, with the S t S GTX seat, I'm up another 2"+ and should be high and dry. The bottom of the new seat is rigid so it won't scrunch/fold on me. I might cut the plastic seat back off because now I've got plenty of back support.

Shot at 2012-07-30

Shot at 2012-07-30

Shot at 2012-07-30

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looking good and a red plastic seat to match your boat!
Way-to-go :D .

2014 Tandem Island

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next