Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From what I can tell I am doing it like the manual says. I untie the luff tensioner at the pulley then run it through the pulley down to the cleat, the other end in tied to the the same thing the jib foot is attached too.. The halyard line is gone due to sister clips.

The manual is so vague that many people do is many different ways.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

See How in your drawing the "jib Tensioner" is tied directly to the halyard wire through the loop ..... that will cause you problems when you try to pull the halyard through the "zippered" luff on the jib .... the pulley will cock sideways and gets hung up when it tries to enter the "zippered" jib luff !!!!

Tie the "Jib Tensioner" line through the center of the pulley .... it should be a "hollow" pin. This will keep the pulley "in-line" and it will then easily enter and be pulled through the "zippered" jib luff ....

I then tie my "detatchable" portion of the jib halyard directly to the end of the "Jib Tensioner" .... (the other end is tied to the shackle at the other end of the jib halyard when the jib is lowwered) .... when you have the jib "hoisted" I remove the "detatchable" section of the Jib Halyard and store in the tramp pocket .... now you use the "Jib Tensioner" line to tension the jib as you have discribed ..... NO Sister Clips needed or used

This "trick" took me a little time to understand .....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

Last edited by Harry Murphey on Sun May 22, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bow down to your genius. Oh my god you are the smartest man to ever walk the earth. God saved the world on Saturday to let you tell the world the smartest thing ever said.

"Tie it through the pulley loop."

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is sutle .... but simple ....

... as I said it took me some time as a "Newbie" to learn this trick .... I think one of the other more experienced (at that time) H18 guys finally showed me after they observed/heard me "venting" ..... quite loudly and colorfully ..... (I think you could hear me several city blocks away on the beach in fact .... maybe even in Bermuda .... and we were on a NJ beach !!!)

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

jmecky wrote:
I bow down to your genius. Oh my god you are the smartest man to ever walk the earth. God saved the world on Saturday to let you tell the world the smartest thing ever said.

"Tie it through the pulley loop."

Thanks

Not sure if this is sarcasm but it's not really tied thru the "pulley loop". As Harry says, there is a hole in the center of the pulley. Tie a loop in this hole with a 1/4"or 3/16" line - not sure the dimension. Then the remainder of my line feeds thru the jib luff shackle, up around the pulley then into the jib cleat.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its not sarcasm but I can see how it may sound like it. i was just excited to know my pulley wont get caught any more in the jib zipper pocket.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use 1/8" line as that's just about the largest line you can get to pass through that "hollow" pin in the middle of the pulley, using a bowline knot .... my jib tensioner line was long enough origonally to go around 3-4 times when I was using "parachute/batten cord" ..... now I use 1/8" vectra/spectra/dynema .... which is rated at +2000 lbs tensile strength ... (I believe) ... so I only use 2-3 loops around ..... and tie half hitches instead of using that "jam cleat" mounted on the sail ....

H-18 mag/ #9458
Fleet 54 Div 11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi there,

Just wanted to let you know, I watched your video probably 50 times in the week before & the week after buying my Hobie 18. Made learning the rigging MUCH easier.

I have to ask, how are you supporting your mast at the rear!?! It looks like you've got a really convenient stand back there for it. My new boat, on the other hand, has a 2x8 propping it up. Takes me a half an hour to tie down the 2x8, mast, and rudders/tiller so that they don't move around/fall. It's really killing my rig/de-rig time (I have to trailer it for the time being).

If you have any tips on how to speed up the rig/de-rig time (currently takes me over an hour w/2 people), I'd greatly appreciate it!!!

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 2" square tubing that fits into a welded socket into the trailer.The square tubing is pinned into the socket like a receiver trailer hitch.The tubing then comes up to have a saddle the mast sits in at the back of the boat.You have to pull the pin and slide out the tubing in order for the boat to leave the trailer.

Jmecky's video helped me a lot too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just a note on the setup for the Jib Halyard, you can also get small sister clips so you can easily detach the lower half of the rope halyard. The one sister clip then loops back up through the pulley and back down which can either be cleated on the jib sail or tied back down on the shackle.
The line used is 1/8" line.

Just on anohter note for this halyard check the Nico press sleeves on the wire part of the halyard, how do I know mine failed this past weekend sailing so needlest to say I now know how to sail an 18 with just the main sail. Until this happens you don't realized how much the Jib works when you are tacking alot.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Q18 wrote:
I have a 2" square tubing that fits into a welded socket into the trailer.The square tubing is pinned into the socket like a receiver trailer hitch.The tubing then comes up to have a saddle the mast sits in at the back of the boat.You have to pull the pin and slide out the tubing in order for the boat to leave the trailer.

I really like how that solution gets the weight of the mast off of the boat, but I'm not sure how I'd go about building that. I don't have access to any metal shop or welding equipment.

However, jmecky's solution, from what I can see of it, seems to be almost a prefabricated mast stand that rests on the rear cross bar and slides into the traveller track. If that's the case, that could cut almost 20 minutes off of my rig time and would be no worse than my current arrangement.

I'm also suprised to see the rollers. I have pretty much the same setup, unfortunately, and I'm terrified of what it's doing to the boat every time I trailer, and get on the tramp to step the mast. Replacing those is on my short list.

One last thing, I've read that strapping down the boat is a big mistake. How are others securing their boats to keep them from sliding or bouncing?

(I know these questions are about trailering and not rigging, but I figure that the two kinda go together. I'm trying to work out the best way to secure the boat, but make it quicker to go from trailering to sailing.)

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238