Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 1993 Hobie 17 Sport with the Harken traveler. My crossbar broke and I need to replace the traveler track onto the replacement crossbar. I'm trying to find the right tap to tap the holes in the cross bar. I bought an M6x1.0 tap but, although the screws seem to fit that threading, they are a bit looser than the original holes and threading in the original crossbar. Any idea on what size screws were used?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as I'm aware, Hobie has always used standard threads (inch), not metric on their boats.

I would guess they're either 12-24 screws or 1/4"-20 which are the two closest standard sizes to M6. If you already tapped the M6 holes in the crossbar, then you should just buy some M6 screws and scrap the original screws.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The existing screws are smaller than M6x1.0 but too big for M5x0.8 and not either 10-24 or 1/4-20 or any English size. Harken replied back that "I will assume you are mounting current small boat traveler track and that would mount with #10 or 5mm flat headed fasteners." So I just bought some 10-24 screws and now need to get a 10-24 tap and I'll be set. No luck at Lowe's for a 10-24 tap. Menard's here I come. No store around here has more than 6 to 8 M6 SS screws in stock. Luckily, I drilled and tapped the hole in my broken crossbar to test fit it.