Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone found a decent plate or bracket to mount an anchor system on the bow of an Oasis? I need something to distribute the weight better so as not to put to much pressure on the plastic. Lots of hurdles I'm discovering on making my hobie perfect for me...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check out http://www.palmettokayakfishing.com Click "BLog" and scroll down to: Quick Release DIY Anchor System. Simple, easy and much less hassle...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks anyway, but that's an anchor trolley system. That I have already. I'm looking for a way to have the anchor mounted on the bow, supported so as not to bounce around when on the kayak. Your way is easy, but not what I'm looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This might work. The first link shows a pic of it mounted on the stern, but it would probably work just as well on the bow. The second link is to the product itself:

http://www.rammount.com/Products/KayakM ... fault.aspx

http://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/ ... fault.aspx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your link. The Ram mount looks good. The Scotty would work as well. My biggest concern is that I need a heavier anchor in some of the rivers I float. The 1.5-3 lb. anchors for most kayaks just wont hold. I need an 8lb minimum for some spots..... That amount of weight either hanging from the mount or pulling it from the river will put too much stress on where it is mounted to my kayak. So really I'm hoping to find an over sized plate or mounting bracket that will spread the tension over a wider area on my kayak. I'm used to using drift boats for flyfishing rivers & was originally looking for a fixed mounting position on the bow. I have already installed a nice anchor pulley system for most of my lake fishing, but am just needing to find or create this mount for the faster rivers I float. Thank you all for your suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I anchor in strong current all the time with just a 1-1/2 pound anchor. It's the anchor design, not so much the weight, that holds you. I can't presume to know how you're anchoring, but putting a good lead on the anchor makes all the difference in the world. In even 5 or 6 feet of water, I often have out 30 feet of line. Other guys with 15 pound mushroom anchors (yes, you read that right) on their kayaks will bump and slip down past me because they haven't put enough lead on the anchor (not to mention that a mushroom anchor isn't ideal for rocky bottoms).

We just put a small eye bolt in the bow of the boat, backed by a bent/shaped washer and run the anchor line through that. Our anchors are short and light and the bow area is among the thickest part of the hull. I can't imagine ever tearing the eye bolt out of the hull.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Tom, that is solid advice. I agree that letting the right amount of line out is as important if not more than weight of anchor. I have certain situations on certain rivers when I just need to drop & stop..... Very shallow & don't have the luxury of letting a lot of line out.....,. Usually it's when I spot rising fish & there's only one spot I can position myself to make a good cast, or it might just be time to find a bank for lunch. Depending on the current and accessible bank, I can't always let out a lot of line. I saw a pic of someone's kayak mount they made which is along the lines of what I'm after, just was hoping for something not so big...... Something a little sexier if you know what I mean.... Here's the sample I saw.... https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/s ... directlink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Okay, let me run this by you - instead of keeping such an anchor hanging off the bow, what if you were to keep it in the cockpit. Have the line running out to the same sort of eyebolt on the bow I talked about, but run up on it and get it in hand and then lift it into the cockpit to retrieve and store? To deploy, just toss it out. It'll run out to the bow eye and pull from there. You can still add or retrieve line from the cockpit via the bow eye.

I still think an eyebolt and the hull at that point is still strong enough to take the strain, but depending on the height of your bow the anchor might drag in the water while underway so you might not want to store it there when not in use.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Another good point Tom! I might have to think about that one..... Meanwhile, it might be time to wander down the isles at home depot.... I'm spending a lot of time there these days. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Get a nice piece of teak and mount a bow pulpit with a sheave in it... then reeve the anchor line through it to a sail boat coffee grinder on the forward hatch cover and you're all set! :) :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

And if you're worried about the strength of the area where you're mounting it, buy a poly cutting board from WallyWorld, cut it to the right size, and make as large a backing plate in that area as you can.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

YakerJack wrote:
And if you're worried about the strength of the area where you're mounting it, buy a poly cutting board from WallyWorld, cut it to the right size, and make as large a backing plate in that area as you can.

I will be doing that to be sure, it's just not a flat surface on the bow of the Oasis, so it will take a little customizing for something stable. Any ideas for a stable base that will also contour to the bow?? These are pics of the bow: https://picasaweb.google.com/1123125188 ... directlink Leaving on a 6 day float trip tomorrow and won't be able to finish that part yet. But looking forward to it!

Thanks for any tips!