Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restoration completed!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I am just starting the restoration project on what I assume is a 1980's model H14 Non turbo.
(are there any particular characteristics to help determine the year of the boat?)

I will post some pictures and keep you guys updated on the project. All tips and advise is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ThomasDFree on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Tom:
Just read your post.
I too am in the latter stages of a refit on a 14' non Turbo so I might be able to help.
Found a good set of hull's/tramp/mast.....then looked for months for a boom/main sail. finally found a good original set (w/o the boom block etc).
Parts from Hobie direct are pricy but you get the right stuff. So I got some bits and bobs from them.
The original 14's were a very basic boat which I like. Easy for a solo sailor.

The Turbo requires a little more skill and if you're "go'n for it" two persons ideally.

The boom's on the turbo/basic were the same.
You can get "comp-tips" for the mast and other performance up-grades. Only depends on what you want to spend and do.
The Turbo means you get a jib and forestay.....later they went to travelers mounted on the front of the tramp frame and roller furling. Also other parts so you can hang your rear end over board.

Google the VIN number that you'll find hard to see under the rudder stock for the year....mine's a '74. Mine is "scratched" in to the gel-coat by hand.

Under '16 in this state means no taxes/registration required.

Wear a PFD and good luck. It'll be worth it in the end.
PS Look around for a place that sells old stuff/local Hobie clubs/University sailing clubs etc. They made a lot more 16's than the 14's as the latter can pitch pole/capsize easier if you go up on one hull.
Del

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I have finished the restoration of my 1972 Hobie 14, it is the first Hobie I have ever owned or even sailed. I have decided to post a few pictures of the process.

Last edited by ThomasDFree on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks great what kind of paint did you use on the hulls and rudders?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice color scheme. You may regret the hi-gloss finish on the deck, but it looks sharp. Kind of like a teak "Woodie".

You must feel great about the project. Before/after is nothing short of a miracle!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DonP wrote:
Looks great what kind of paint did you use on the hulls and rudders?

I used Interlux brightside "Fire Red"

I am going to apply 1 more coat sometime with the remaining paint and add some non slip beads to the mix.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great job! Were you able to keep much of the texture on the non-skid portion of the decks? Would you mind posting a picture of that part of the boat?

Thanks

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice looking paint scheme! I see you left out the forestay adjuster between the forestay and the bridles. I had to on my old boat - can't figure out why either, as all the wires measure the correct length. Even with it left out, the rake is pretty dramatic on mine.

Also you have a great place to haul out the boat. I had to make a dry dock - will post pics soon.

Enjoy - I had mine out yesterday with 325# aboard in midcoast Maine in a decent breeze and had a blast.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm just lurking in the 14 forum but I thought I'd comment on all the hard work you put in to raise this boat from the dead. Hats off to you! Well, Actually my hat has been off and missing since my last pitch pole, but you get the picture. Great Job!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MVD wrote:
Great job! Were you able to keep much of the texture on the non-skid portion of the decks? Would you mind posting a picture of that part of the boat?

Thanks

I actually sanded off all of the factory non skid portion of the decks. there was no way i was going to be able to save the non skid areas.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

blord5 wrote:
Nice looking paint scheme! I see you left out the forestay adjuster between the forestay and the bridles. I had to on my old boat - can't figure out why either, as all the wires measure the correct length. Even with it left out, the rake is pretty dramatic on mine.

Also you have a great place to haul out the boat. I had to make a dry dock - will post pics soon.

Enjoy - I had mine out yesterday with 325# aboard in midcoast Maine in a decent breeze and had a blast.

Thanks, I am happy with the way the colors came together. There were no forestay adjusters on the boat when I first disassembled it and I just reused all the same standing rigging. All the cables seem to be tight.

same here, with around 300 lbs on board we still are able to have a good time with just a decent breeze.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NOHUHU wrote:
Very nice color scheme. You may regret the hi-gloss finish on the deck, but it looks sharp. Kind of like a teak "Woodie".

You must feel great about the project. Before/after is nothing short of a miracle!

Yeah you may be right about the hi-gloss finish, but with the non slip beads I'm going to add and keeping the boat covered, I'm hoping it will work out fine. But if I ever need to repaint the boat I may consider another finish.

Yes, always a great feeling.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

ThomasDFree wrote:
There were no forestay adjusters on the boat when I first disassembled it and I just reused all the same standing rigging. All the cables seem to be tight.

I notice that your mast rake is much less than mine, and your boom is very high compared to mine, too. What hole do you have the stays adjusted to? You could probably add the adjuster to the front stay and pull your mast back some. My rig is so loose that the mast wouldn't stay up if I put in the front adjuster. Maybe somebody cut the mast down several inches in the past. I'll have to measure it when I take it apart for the winter.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

blord5 wrote:
ThomasDFree wrote:
There were no forestay adjusters on the boat when I first disassembled it and I just reused all the same standing rigging. All the cables seem to be tight.

I notice that your mast rake is much less than mine, and your boom is very high compared to mine, too. What hole do you have the stays adjusted to? You could probably add the adjuster to the front stay and pull your mast back some. My rig is so loose that the mast wouldn't stay up if I put in the front adjuster. Maybe somebody cut the mast down several inches in the past. I'll have to measure it when I take it apart for the winter.

I have both stays in the top hole on the adjusters. I cant seem to get them any tighter on my own. But then again I was trying to adjust them with the mast up, using the main halyard to Pull on the mast and loosen the stay. I suppose if I lowered the mast then moved the stays down a few notches it would be easier. If I added any more length to the front stay I fear the mast may come off the boat while sailing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I measured mine, the front adjuster added about 2" to the front stay when it was adjusted down to the lowest hole. You should be able to take that up by pulling down your shrouds to the middle hole or so.

I'm certainly no expert, but from what I've read the 14 sails better with a good bit of mast rake. Took this quote from an old post:

"Look online for the H14 tuning guide by former world champ Bob Curry.
This was also published in the Hobie Class Magazine (free on the internet, hardcopy if you're a Hobie Class member) called the Hobie Hotline... an article on tuning the H14.

The article discusses in detail: mast rake, rudder rake, forestay and shroud tension, mast rotation, downhaul, etc.

Oh yeah, the article is also on the beachcats website:
http://www.thebeachcats.com/news/84/hob ... ing-guide/

Mast rake is good for going upwind, but moving the mast back moves the sail back, which puts more effort over the back of the boat, so that loads up the rudders w/weather helm. To counteract that, you bring the rudders in closer (mast back, rudders forward)... the rudders are adjusted to hang more under the hulls rather than behind. An inch here makes a lot of difference in helm feel."

I do have quite a bit of weather helm with mine raked the way it is, and I may shorten the front stay in the fall and add an adjuster so I can play with the rake a bit.