Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to buy the alum. trailer 'cause the light weight appeals to me. I want to transport the kayaks face up on the trailer, and back it into the water just like a normal boat setup. I like to keep everything setup and ready for fishing on trailer ready to go.

It says there are custom molded cradles that fit the Pro Angler. Can I adapt them to fit the aluminum trailer ? Then I can back the boats into the water easy. How much would the whole setup weigh ? Two 12' Pro-anglers, aluminum trailer all together weighs ?

And how long / wide would the setup be ? I want to store it alongside my house, what length / width space do I need ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can I ask why you're concerned about weight?
I use a continental trailer for kayak transport and it has a galvanized steel frame. I pull it using my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe that has a V4 engine. The trailer is easy enough to move , even with a PA12 on it. I've pushed it up my drive way - which has a pretty steep gradient.
No issues at all and it ran me $800 new.
For the storage/transportation I took a page out of Tom Kirkman's solution..which is to mount two 2" diameter Schedule 40 PVC pipes around 10" (would've done 11" if I had to do it over again) apart. The PVC pipes fit in the scupper line and support the PA12 nicely. I've been storing it this way for about two weeks now and no problems - and I live in Florida where it gets super hot during the summer.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My trailer is a single jet ski trailer. Galvanized steel with added rack up top. Took off the bunks and mounted the 2 PVC pipes method. I used gray schedule 40 2.5" pipe. Front is 11" and backs 10" apart. I can lift the trailer with the pa14 on it and move it around anywhere I need. I put a flip up jack on it just to roll it around. I thinking could lift the wheel off the ground with the pa14 on it. Weight is really a non issue. Width is 60-62"outside of fenders. I would think a double would be a full 8' to outside of fenders.

Aluminum is light weight and can tend to bouce on some roads. Bouncing equals things breaking over time. Not sure aluminum is worth the extra. Plus you can weld to steel and add stuff if you need to fairly easily.

Gonna try and post pics.

I've painted it red since the pics were taken.And this pic shows the 2" schedule 40 which I thought was too flexible. The 2.5" is quite a bit stiffer, yet still forms to the hull.

Again, the weight is a non issue. You could pull this trailer with a bicycle.

Old Outback - SOLD

It's called "Fishing" for a reason...Otherwise, it would be called "Catching"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There are a few additions to my query.

1. Wife is buying this for me, its my wedding present. So cost is fairly flexible. My gift to her was the honeymoon in hawaii. It rained 3 of the 5 days ! ( And in case you think I'm part of the 1%, I've rec'd no inheritance ever, have no future prospect of any, and I worked full time while earning a BS in CS. And yes, I have a prenup, this is my 2nd marriage, I would hope to sign an open ended increasing liability contract only ONCE per lifetime )

2. Aluminum choice is because I want to save weight. Many of the places where I want to launch there is no ramp at all, merely a gravel / dirt jeep/atv trail steeply down 70' to the water. I have a bad back, so I want to minimize weight. I am concerned about alum. trailer....On long highway trips, my alum. boats all showed popped rivets and slowly expanding cracks in the welds...This is probably the only reason I'd forgo the alum. trailer. What is the company that makes the alum. trailer ?

3. Hobie says they sell molded "bunks" for the pro angler and adventure Island only. I want to store the kayaks on the trailer upright ready and ready for launch, is this a crazy idea ? Doesn't look like anyone does this...Also, my winter storage place I have to push the loaded trailer into by hand, it has a slight upward slope. I really like the idea of having the boats "ready to go" as it were, like I had with my aluminum boats. You get 3 hours free, just hook up and GO !! All the gear is in the boat, back into the water, you are done. ( Bunks are what the above guy uses the PVC pipe for, with padding, a great idea BTW ) Hobie says if you buy the whole package, the dealer assembles it for you, my dealer was barely able to fix the bad rudder when I rented the mirage drive kayak to check it out, so my faith is limited.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

"Hobie says they sell molded "bunks" for the pro angler and adventure Island only. I want to store the kayaks on the trailer upright ready and ready for launch, is this a crazy idea ? Doesn't look like anyone does this..."
Not crazy. I keep my loaded, ready to fish PA on a trailer with Hobie cradles year round. Never had a dent or deformation. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The guy I talked to at Hobie said everyone trailers the kayaks upside down, which means you have to flip it over, then install the dolly, then load your stuff, then fight for a spot on the ramp, then launch. Hassle...

I got used to having everything loaded and ready to go upright on a trailer, in case I get off work at 2pm, I can be on the water by 3pm fishing.

You don't know where the alum. trailers are made ? Got any insight on the alum. wear longevity issue ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm no kayak expert, but trailering or storing a PA on its side or upside down is ridiculous. It is WAY too heavy to deal with that. It's all I can do to flip it on its side to put in the wheels. I treat mine like a Jon boat. Loaded and ready. Go down the ramp...put the boat right in and it's ready to fish.
Jeff

Old Outback - SOLD

It's called "Fishing" for a reason...Otherwise, it would be called "Catching"