Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello

Way back in the spring before kayaks were even a conceivable speck in my eye I saw way off in the water and perpendicular to me what I thought was a single person paddle boat. When I got home, I googled "single person paddle boat" and was disappointed with the results and figured I had just seen it wrong. I thought if I made a post in this forum with the words "single person paddle boat" in it, if anyone who saw a Hobie like I did and didn't know about kayaks, would be directed here.

It was only until a few months later when a co-worker was talking about getting a kayak and I had said they weren't for me and then he mentioned SOT's that even got me started looking at them. I think a lot of people may just think of them as those long skinny things with the itty bitty holes like I did. It was funny the first time I came across a Hobie online I was all "That's it! That's what I saw!!!"

Then I saw the price :shock: (but came back to it anyway - no gas, little maintenance, more stability than I had imagined, storage - much better than a $1k SOT)

Now I'm in places in the Internet I never even heard about before - like kayak fishing forums. Who knew it was so Huge? I've just seen sparkly bass boats in my neck of the woods.

Anyway, just thought I would make a quick post here where it might lead someone over to this. I can't be the only person who wouldn't equate a kayak with, from a distance, a paddle boat.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the forum!

I would have never looked into Kayak fishing if a friend hadn't suggested it. That same friend owns a Hobie Cat, so of course he was going to steer me towards looking at Hobie products. The bass boat wasn't getting a lot of use and I wasn't into the bass tournaments as much any more. Gas wasn't getting any cheaper as well.

Like you I never realized the popularity of kayaking or kayak fishing, especially here in the southeast United States where the weather is condusive to year round fishing.

I fished my first tournament back in May (Jacksonville Classic). There were 406 fellow kayakers there. It was a great time that I won't miss going forward! For me this has been a wonderful change of pace for fishing. Yes the Mirage Drive Hobies do cost more than a regular kayak, but to me it was well worth it.

I do get out in the wife's Revo 11 every once in a while, but the PA is what I spend the most time in. At my age (57), it's a great way to fish, relax on the water and get exercise all at the same time.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had advanced from a float tube to an eight-foot one man pontoon, but never got the hang of using fins. The very limited distance I could get to - and back - was discouraging. I was also tired of having cold wet legs. So I started looking into kayaks. Nice, but that darn paddle took both hands, and I wanted to be able to move AND hold a rod.

Then I saw Hobies at an outdoor trade show. DING!

I was set to buy an Outback or a Revo when I discovered the PA. DING DING!

My nearest dealer, according to Hobie's website, is 150 miles away. I called them and they had a 2009 demo PA14 they'd discount to me. DING! DING! DING!

Like it says below: PROUD owner.

If you think a PA is expensive, price the smallest bass boat you can find. About six times the price of a PA - and you don't need a trailer, or annual license fees for a PA.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakiddy Yak, so..... you didn't say but have you made the leap :P