Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wet Bum
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all from OZ, I just picked up my new AI last week and the first thing I noticed is that water builds up in the seat are which leaves you with a nasty wet feeling for most of that day. Is there a solution to this problem. I figured if I have it, you all have it.

Post subject: Re: Wet Bum
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you are moving, if you had removed the drain plugs and put a piece of tape (shipping tape, duct tape, etc.) covering the front 2/3 of each drain hole on the bottom of the hull, it will suck the water out. But, as soon as you stop moving, the water will fill back in, up to the water level.

Others have worked at adding cushions under the seat or a new thicker seat.

Many discussions on the forums here, just deciding what what to try.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do a search for "quarterdeck" on the forum. It has completely solved the problem for me, though there are occasions when I can envision using the seatwell.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The seat bucket is molded in too low, putting the tops of the scuppers below the outside waterline. So the seat bucket is going to fill with water either from the water outside if you leave the plugs out, or from splash inside if you leave the plugs in.

The other problem is that the AI can heel pretty good in a stiff breeze while on a reach. So even if the seat bucket was a little higher, one good heel and one of those scupper holes will still end up below the waterline. The water would run back out once you level off, of course.

I've tried a couple things I'm not entirely happy with. Am preparing to lengthen the scupper tubes with some short sections of plastic pipe, and then pour urethane foam into the seat bucket to raise it about an inch and a half. Then I'll re-contour it. I still have to work out how to lengthen the seat pegs so they'll still reach the attachment points. It's a work in progress.

In the meantime, the fact is, the AI is a very wet ride. This time of the year that makes it cool and fun. In the cooler months, I guess you best wear waterproof clothing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom Kirkman wrote:
I still have to work out how to lengthen the seat pegs so they'll still reach the attachment points.

That's easy - get one of sun E sailor's Surf to Summit seats (or something similar) and forget about the seat pegs. They were never much good anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've already bought one. Used it one time for about 5 minutes. Would like to sell it. It didn't keep me any dryer, was only 1/4 inch higher in the back than the Hobie seat, and the bottom slid around a me a bit. Scrunched up.

I know others like it very much. To each their own. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well it's not going to get you up out of the water on its own, but if you used it in conjunction with your proposed urethane mould.....
The point about it is its rear attachment straps which obviate the need for seat pegs. I've tried it with my Ocean Kayak seat and the straps stop it slipping forward just fine. If you start lengthening the seat pegs, I suspect you will have trouble getting enough purchase with them to anchor the seat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You may be correct - the pegs work fine as they are now, but as they get longer a lot more force is generated on them, unless I can remove and raise the mounting tubes. Then nothing really changes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Welcome to the fleet.

I found the only way to keep you bum dry is good bib and brace wet weather pants - http://www.burkemarine.com.au/product.php?prod_id=32. I recommend these as both comfortable and 100% waterproof - Whitworths sell them for around $80AUST. You need to beware of water that gets inside while wading during launching that runs up the legs when you sit down.

Where in Aust do you sail?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome aboard!
I bought some Caddis breathable waders (cost around $160 shipped to Oz), AND fitted my swivelling "captain's chair", which raised my bum to above rail height. Nine hour trips in winter are no problem (even when it is warm).

As Dave said, where are you?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone for all the answers. I have the bib and brace but will get my head into this and see what I come up with. Sailing out of Brisbane Australia. Would be a fun little race boat.