Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is this normal ?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I left the PA 12 out in the rain last night and this is the amount of water I found in the hull, Where is a common spot for the water to enter?
Also has anyone had the problem of the kayak to be unbalanced, I noticed that I have to seat about 2 inches to the left in the seat for the kayak to feel level the kayak leans to the right.
http://bassyaks.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/625111425.jpg
hole is off center, it it designed to be like that or is there an adjustment?

Last edited by SteveK on Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Is this normal ?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Empty the water. Now take a hose and with a high pressure nozzle aim it at each hatch for a few minutes, checking for water intake after hosing down each one. You'll quickly find where the water is coming in from. Fixing it is usually just a matter of removing and reinstalling some screws with GOOP.

Even a single handle paddle, mounted to one side, will upset the trim of a kayak, even one as wide as the PA. You'll learn how to adjust your accessories and tackle to get even trim. Not a big deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom the only thing I had off center was a 7Ahr battery is the hull that sensitive

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i have the pa 14 the front screws that hold the bunges for the hatch they leak or could be the seals for rod tubes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NO...THAT IS NOT NORMAL...NORMALLY...The hull will collect water from condensation....But from your pic...And assuming that the amount of water that collected at the bow was from just ONE NIGHT...I suspect that water is leaking from around the hatch/hatches and/or places where screws and bolts penetrate the hull.

What I noticed shortly after I purchased my PA-14 was that when it rained alot (+2") or after I took my PA out in less than desirable conditions (+10mph winds w/ +2 ft. waves...Water to the degree of your pics was showing up inside my hull. So...I purchased some silicone goop and felt around the inside of the hull, wherever I could reach, and covered the screws and bolts. Then I shortened the bungees that hold down the hatches to make a tighter fit, and also added weatherstripping at each hatch cover. That fixed the problem of excessive leaking from screws, and also from loose hatches. I still get leaks...But only when I take the PA out in conditions where no small craft should be...

And...YES...If your battery is not centered, or you have alot of water sloshing around inside your hull, that can throw off the center of gravity, and balance of your PA which will make your PA less responsive or feel out of balance. But just having a paddle hanging over the side of your PA is not enough of a weight difference to affect the balance of your PA. I suggest your removing the battery and any extra gear (weight)...Then take your PA out and see if it still feels lopsided and/or out of balance. If removing the battery and all other gear (weight) fixes the problem, then you will know that you need to balance out the weight...Its like this...If you load your PA, or any other watercraft, and everything is loaded on one side of the watercraft, the watercraft will be out of balance (it will lean to the side where all the weight is)...You need to make sure that you load your PA evenly. Try to center your battery. If you can't, and have to load it on one side of the PA, try to counter the weight by adding something of the same or close weight on the other side to keep the balance equal...BUT...IF when your PA is empty, other than you sitting in it, and it still leans...Something is wrong and you should contact your Hobie Dealer...

I hope that I helped answer your questions 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, sitting the battery off to one side will affect the trim of your kayak. It doesn't take much, although such small out of trim doesn't really affect the performance of the boat to any noticeable degree.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys, I'll head out Thursday to check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guess I am lucky with my PA12. I returned from a fishing trip yesterday only to find it was starting to rain. 2 1/2" of rain during the next hour had me wondering how much water would be inside the kayak. Much to my surprise it was bone dry!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Was the tub installed in the forwared hatch during the rain? I've read that use of the tub is not recommended in "high surf" so maybe that was letting rain in - though it seem unlikely. Was the boat level?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The first trip I took in my PA 12 was a wet one. It was raining so hard I could barely see in front of the boat. Got back to the ramp and it was dry inside. My old Hobie Quest on the other hand would have taken on quite a bit of water.