Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ??s on used 2008 AI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all -

Been wanting an AI for a while and found what looks to be a good deal on a used one pretty local to me. A few questions if I may -

This would be a 2008 model year AI stock except the addition of turbo fins and sail rudder and apparently roller furling (yay!) . Seller claims all in excellent condition.

Question 1 - Any significant differences between 2008 model year and 2012? Specifically any component or design in the older one I am stuck with? Anything I can/should upgrade to from the 2012 parts catalog... ;-)

Question 2 - Anything I should look for when I survey the boat? H16s are my expertise so I know to look for standing rigging, soft spots in hulls, etc. on those but no idea where the weak spots are in the AI and what to watch out for.

Any and all input welcomed and thanks in advance,

~Brad

Post subject: Re: ??s on used 2008 AI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Number one thing to check in surveying the boat is look for hairline cracks around where the mirage drive sits. During the 2012 EC a couple guys were entered in a used TI they had just purchased and didn't realize that a hairline crack was there so they had to cancel since the hull was filling up with water.

If you don't seat the drive correctly, the pedals will wobble and will easily crack that part of the hull. The 2012 models now have a new design feature that makes it almost impossible to put the pedals in crooked.

The biggest reason to buy a newer boat (in my opinion) is the new rudder. I've had an AI since 2007 and feel the new 2012 rudder is well worth the upgrade. Older ones got overpowered a lot. Unfortunately you can't upgrade a 2008 with the new rudder.

Good luck with your new AI. You'll love it.