Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I need to wear compression stockings, and I have been told that removing them for when I go out on the water would negate the benefit of them at other times, which forced me to consider means of keeping my legs dry.

As I see it, this means a dry suit or waders.

Here in Australia, I think a dry suit would be too hot, so I investigated waders.

I bought a pair of CADDIS breathable waders
http://www.caddiswaders.com/products.ph ... product=14
and they are awesome! They arrived in a shoebox sized carton, which was amazing seeing they include booties made from 5mm neoprene. The material they are made from is nothing like the heavy rubberised canvassy stuff I remember from the past, but more like business shirt thickness.

I have now worn them for a few five + hour trips, and they are great! No issues with pedalling, and if I am very careful where I tread (eg avoiding sharps stones etc) even fine when launching and retrieving.

Call me simple-minded, but it is really neat to be able to have a day on the water without getting my feet cold. Another big advantage is that I can now choose whatever warm layers to go underneath in colder weather without being concerned about their compatibility with getting wet. This opens up the whole year to sailing. On the other hand, these things are so light, and breathable, tha five hours in the sun wasn't too hot.

Anyone else had experience with waders?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tony,

i bought a pair of used breathable waders specifically for summer use. Had planned to cut the stocking feet out of them, but I may end up finding other coverings for summertime. It's getting warm enough for shorts I believe. probably will be way too hot in summer for the waders. I just want something to keep from burning in the summer.

when i bought my AI early this year (late winter), I did wear a pair of breathable waders with Korkers boots during my madian voyage. worked fine, stayed warm and dry, though wish I had more room in the legs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

try some kokatat Tempest paddling pants, I found them perfect for what i was looking for....and dont have to go looking for wading boots and the foot is the same materials as the pants and u can wear heavy socks in them. I used neoprene dive bootie's for my 'shoes' or my columbia drainmakers when it wasnt so cold.

and yer not all covered up like a full wader, i'd just wear sweatpants underneath in the winter. i'd also wear a spray jacket with a sweatshirt underneath, if things warmed up, i could unlayer my top

http://www.kokatat.com/products/bibs-an ... s-men.html

ex 2012 Hobie Tandem Island
ex 2011 Hobie Pro Angler
ex 2011 Hobie Adventure Island
ex 2010 Hobie Adventure Island

Last edited by Thrashie on Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, several different pairs.

I have a pair of Chota "hippers" that I use in cooler weather for launching the PA in places where I know I'll have to go knee deep in the water to get it done. These are good breathables and fine to keep on once aboard.

I also have a pair of waist highs for use in colder weather launchings.

Finally, a a pair of chest highs that are prefect for winter time launchings where you also want to protect against waves and spray.

Lightweight, breathable waders, with built in foot covering (we use Wal-Mart $12 canvas models for shoes - they hold up in water very well) are outstanding for use as "storm pants or suits."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is good to see that I am not totally mad for wanting to keep my feet dry! I wear Crocs over the neoprene booties if the terrain is rough at the lunch/retrieval spot, but kick them off once on board, and the booties grip the pedals just fine. I haven't found the chest high model to pose any issues, but will probably get waist high waders next time.

I got really hit be the wake of a big motorboat the other day, and momentarily even had my knees under water, and it was great to be reassured that the system works.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yup, I found out today that you DON'T drown if you fall in while wearing waders.. Stupid silly little error on the edge of a sandbank. With a very strong tidal outflow, I found myself on the wrong side of a sandbar, with the prospect of being swept under a nearby bridge, unfortunately where clearance is less that my 5 metre mast.

So I made the simple decision to pull into the sandbank, and walk the Tandem Island about 50 metres to where the current would send me round an through the higher spans.

So I was "walking the dog" in the shallows, pulling the kayak behind me on my 10 metre anchor line. Next thing there was a bed of seagrass, and all of a sudden the bottom went ridiculously muddy, as well as sloping at something like 45 degrees. Oops! :oops: Over I went, and lost the line to the kayak! First thought was imagining the kayak being swept under the bridge and ripping the expensive carbon mast off, so I swam like a lunatic until I grabbed hold of the kayak.

I could swim quite easily really, and my waist belt seemed to keep most of the water out of my legs (probably a litre of water down each leg, despite being fully immersed at one point). When I stood up on the sandbar and leant forward a torrent of water poured out of the >top< of my waders, and I tipped forward to help, and I swear I had about 10 litres of water in the top half of the waders, trapped by the belt. Bewdy.

I was wearing an inflatable PFD1, which wasn't inflated, plus just a normal polo shirt (no special top)and I was very impressed with how easy it was to move around in the water.

10 out of 10 for waders in kayaks! Thoroughly recommend the Caddis breathables. In the summer, I am confident enough to for for a 50 metre swim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tony you didn't happen to have the GOPRO on at the time - I like to see vid.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Water weighs the same whether it is inside or outside the waders. We've been using them for years as "dry suits" for kayaking in colder weather. The molded in foot means there is no chance of water seeping in between a dry pant and a shoe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave, I didn't have a GoPro, honest :lol: