Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storm Jib?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm assuming the answer is yes but thought I'd ask - can you sail the Getaway solely on the Jib? And, can the jib be used as a storm jib, sailing partially furled? If the latter is also true is it important to fully furl (if that means 'roll up') the jib and then unfurl to the required sail area? I think I read it somewhere in some generic sailing course material.

Post subject: Re: Storm Jib?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sure u can sail without the jib, helm feel will be differant and tacking will be problematic, particularly in heavier wind. I don't know what the company line is but have sailed my Getaway with a partially furled jib so i know it can be done. To be honest I didn't notice much difference as the wind and waves were crazy and it was all i could do to keep the boat upright.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

But can you sail with only the jib? I'm thinking for lazy, underpowered family drifts.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

When I had a getaway I sailed mine downwind under jib alone. I was taking it from a sheltered beach to a ramp after week of camping and had intended to paddle, but once out of the shelter of the tree line noticed that there was enough wind to save some work and rolled out the jib. It wont be fast but it works. I don't think you will be able to go upwind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can sail under jib alone, but you won't be able to go upwind or tack. If you try to sail on a beam reach, there will be a lot of lee helm, i.e. the boat will want to turn downwind all the time. In light wind that will not really be an issue.

The roller furler system on Hobies is not intended for partial furling. It is an all or nothing system.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not intended for partial furling??? I do it all the time and works like a charm to maintain balance and easier tacking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RobDek wrote:
Not intended for partial furling??? I do it all the time and works like a charm to maintain balance and easier tacking.

"Not intended" means just that: it may work, but don't complain to Hobie if/when something breaks.

Generally roller reefing rigs have the following that plain roller furling doesn't:
-foam luff padding: there's a ton of tension on the luff of a sail (from the sheet, etc). When a sail is used partially furled, this tension is trying to tighten the wraps of the sail around the forestay, and the foam luff provides some cushion to prevent the wraps from getting so tight as to do damage.
-headstay foil: at least on larger boats, the roller reefing setups have rigid extrusions that have a groove for a bolt rope on them. this rigid extrusion keeps the top of the sail furled the same amount as the bottom, even when the sheet is trying to unfurl it.
-beefier furlers: all that tension on the sail is trying to unfurl the sail, and has to be counterbalanced by the furler. this puts a lot more load on the whole furler setup than when the sail is completely in or completely out.

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

All your points aren't applicable to such a small jib as used on the Getaway. For decades, the same system was used on boats up to 22'.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RobDek wrote:
All your points aren't applicable to such a small jib as used on the Getaway. For decades, the same system was used on boats up to 22'.

I've never actually seen a small boat furler that explicitly stated it could be used for reefing in addition to furling, so I can't comment on your assertion.

However, the MAIN point of my comment is still valid. Just because it's worked for you so far doesn't mean that reefing is the intended use. I use a windsurfing mast as a spinnaker pole, which is absolutely not the intended use - it works well, but if it breaks I can't complain to the manufacturer.

Same thing with your furler - its up to you whether or not you use it to reef, but if you do and something breaks, don't complain about the quality of Hobie's products...

1990 Hobie 18SX #2077