Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wanted to get an answer directly from Hobie...is this true? If it is why then do you guys sell the heavy duty ones and market it for the P.A? Also those who use something else let me know which one? The bottom of the PA is very different from other kayaks and i have a hard time finding a none scupper cart.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure what your specific issue is. The Hobie heavy duty cart should not void the warranty if used with a PA. You post implies that you have to find a non-scupper cart to avoid the warranty being voided by using a scupper cart. Am I reading that correctly?

I use the heavy duty Hobie cart with mine. Zero issues. I do have a 2012 model so it has the re-inforced scupper holes. I did buy a C-Tug (strap style) cart when I purchased both Hobies. After getting home (hours from dealer) I found out that the C-Tug didn't come close to lining up with the PA bottom. No big deal as it fits the hull of the Revo 11 just fine.

I don't rough handle the PA when I use the cart so the angle stress of the scupper cart through the holes is minimal.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You just want to make sure that you have the cart set completely into the scupper holes. Part of the problem is when someone inserts them only part way and then flip the PA over. They can dig into the sides of the scupper wall. Since they have reinforced the scupper holes, this should mostly eliminate that problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

THE BEST CART TO USE AND SUPPORTS THE THE HULL PERFECT IS THE WHEELEEZ BEACH CART WITH THE 30CM TIRES IF U SURF THE WEB U WILL FIND THEM FOR ABOUT 186.00 ....THEY WORK BEST WHEN PUT BEHIND THE DRIVE HOLE AND YOU WOULD PULL FOM THE BACK THE PA'S ARE VERY FRONT HEAVEY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Would that be a good cart to portage over a trail through the woods? some of our river trips require us to portage around certain areas.I wouldn't want to drag a yak over that using a scupper cart.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the HD cart and no issues. Like others have said, make sure the post on the cart are all the way through the scuppers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I use the Wheeleez beach cart. Took me an outing or two to figure out the fastest way to get the PA on and off the cart. There's a little trick to it where you put the cart at an angle just behind the seat. When you lift the PA from the front and rotate it onto the cart, the cart will end up being positioned slightly in front of the seat. Then I push the entire thing from the back.

It's fantastic for launching in rough terrain and the beach. The wheels don't sink into the sand and the wheels are large enough to go over bumps and brush without slowing down.

90% of the time I don't even bother strapping the PA12 down. It's heavy enough that the boat stays on the cart. Only time I strap it on is when I'm launching from a boat ramp where the incline is really steep. In fact, I believe that the scupper cart would be better if you're launching from a ramp.

In all other aspects the wheeleez is a super nice cart. Biggest downside is that it's huge and it really isn't feasible to store this on the PA12 (maybe it can be stored on the PA14). I just put it in my trunk after I'm done moving the PA12 - since I never launch more than 100ft from my car. If I had to take a trek through the woods, I'd probably just buy a chain and lock and lock it up to a tree somewhere.