Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat Trax for the Wave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just found a guy selling Cat Trax with cradles. He currently uses it with his H-16. Can anyone tell me if it would fit/work with the Wave?
Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

SCWave wrote:
I just found a guy selling Cat Trax with cradles. He currently uses it with his H-16. Can anyone tell me if it would fit/work with the Wave?
Thanks for your help!

It will work fine. You will just have to move the cradles in to the proper spacing.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey SCWave
I bought a used one with my Wave and it works well (even though it came with no cradles, I use a ratchet strap on a light setting to keep the boat on the Trax)
The Trax also came with a very handy PVC homemade boom to attach the spreader bar to the end. This allows a 'handle' to move the boat.
If you wish, I can send you a photo.
Bests
Tri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies everybody. The guy sold the trax before I could get back to him. I'm still in the market, but when I find some wheels, I won't have to ask again!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You may have to make an alteration to the Cat-Trax to fit your Wave. I bought a Cat-Trax from a Hobie 16' owner, and ultimately had to shorten the length between the wheels to appropriately fit the width of the Wave. Local dealer make the alteration for me for about $60. You can likely do it yourself with a hacksaw and a good drill bit to drill a new hole for cotter pin.

PB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A Cat Trax is only an answer if you need to move your Cat without concerns for height. If there is an issue with having to move it higher than the waterline, you may want to consider add-ons to get your Baby back home.
Unless you have patient (available) neighbours, you are stuck with trying to get the Wave home on your own. As I live in a region that only has neighbours during the summer, I've had to find means and methods to haul my boat up a 20 degree incline for 75 feet.
The Trax are your main wheels but if you have to solo winch your boat, another set of wheels have to be used to make a 4 wheel method of hauling.
The C-Tug kayak system can be used attached near the forward crossbar. (one for each hull). They will hug the hulls if you are using a solid fastening system such as kayak tie downs or ratchet straps.
You can modify an electric 12V trailer winch but it is slow and noisy (and needs a 12 volt power source, or a 110V converter on an outdoor extension cord).
What I have found works like a charm is a product called a SkyWinch.

http://www.greenfieldproducts.com

This is a variation on a manual trailer winch but also uses the same rope locking method of a manual anchor winch. It is designed to haul 350 lbs dead weight with a max of a half inch rope, but your Trax will certainly lessen that dead weight.

This product also has warnings all over the place to not use it for human transport. If that is the case why did they call it a 'Sky' winch??

If you have no rise from the water to your home, great. I posted this for the many people that do.

Best Regards
Tri