Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2013 Tandem Island
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm ready to purchase a Tandem Island, but seeing it's August already, I have decided to wait until the 2013 model is announced just to see if there are any modifications for 2013 or price slight price reductions on existing 2012 stock.

August is normally when they start shipping the next year's model, correct?

Post subject: Re: 2013 Tandem Island
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, I too am waiting to see what 2013 brings: 1. A Jib, 2. Boom kit, 3. Spinaker, and 4. HAKAS!, and 5. Proper tiller with extension. All done without mold change. The Kayak will need some sort of exoskeleton to beef up the front end and give strong connection points for the sail controls. And the mast will need a rotatinghead to allow furling independently of the jib.
See? All ezy peezy stuff...and easily retrofitted to any Dune '12 TI. :wink:
BRING IT ON! please.
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To quote from the classic Aussie movie "The Castle".... Tell 'im he's dreaming!

1. Hobie have said no.
2. Boom is the sound it makes as it hits your head! No thanks
3. The mast base design is not really suitable for the forces a kite would generate
4. I guess rotomolded hakas might be doable.
5. Only needed if No. 4 happens.

Good luck with the exoskeleton concept.

Still, it never hurts to make a wish :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just ordered my Tandem Island today. Dealer said 2013 cost up about $200 but no changes other than that. So I got my order in for the 2012 to save a little money and hope to get it in a couple of weeks. We've got a 2010 Outback and 2011 Revolution, both with the sail kits, turbo's, larger rudder and ama's. We've enjoyed the sailing aspect the most so decided on the Tandem Island. We live walking distance to Alamitos Bay in Long Beach, Ca and I hope walking the Tandem a couple hundred yards to the water on Hobie's cart isn't going to be to much of a task for us. Guess we'll find out shortly. Not sure if we'll keep the other yaks. Storage for toys is about at capacity.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

motoenthusiast wrote:
I just ordered my Tandem Island today. Dealer said 2013 cost up about $200 but no changes other than that. So I got my order in for the 2012 to save a little money and hope to get it in a couple of weeks. We've got a 2010 Outback and 2011 Revolution, both with the sail kits, turbo's, larger rudder and ama's. We've enjoyed the sailing aspect the most so decided on the Tandem Island. We live walking distance to Alamitos Bay in Long Beach, Ca and I hope walking the Tandem a couple hundred yards to the water on Hobie's cart isn't going to be to much of a task for us. Guess we'll find out shortly. Not sure if we'll keep the other yaks. Storage for toys is about at capacity.

Not the plug-in cart, we don't recommend that at all. You need the dolly with the cradle that supports the weight better - it's the only option really for the TI.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Jbernier, I used the wrong terminology and called it a cart but I actually ordered the dolly with the cradle and beach wheels along with the Tandem Island. So I think I'm good to go.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Motoenthusiast:
Are you interested in a 2012 (dune) TI with trailex double-double aluminum trailer, black tramps, and cradles?
Just wondering...
Thanks.
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've already put a couple grand down on the TI or I would have been interested. I've been trying to decide if I'd use a trailer or not. I have no place to really store a trailer and probably will just take the TI in the bay and ocean near me. But I'd been toying with the idea of setting the trailer on its side between the houses when not in use.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too put a 2012 TI on order 12 days ago as the dealer hinted a price increase for 2013 but nothing substantially different about the boat.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have to say I feel like a kid at Christmas time. Really looking forward to sailing around the local waters. I've picked up the basics with the sail on the Outback but expect the Island to be much more sail-worthy (if that's a word or even a concept:oops: ) My wife and I are both avid motorcyclist and our Goldwings haven't had nearly the mileage they are used to on them since we've had the Hobies; and I expect even less with the arrival of the Tandem Island. I must say this forum is awesome. I really enjoy the participation of the Hobie employees. I've been on a lot of motorcycle forums and never seen a Honda rep get on the Goldwing forums to answer questions.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tell me about it motoenthusiast! I launched my brand new TI in early June, and am averaging 2-3 outings a week despite it being winter! I cannot begin to imagine how often I will be out on the water in warmer weather!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Googled where you live,tonystott, wow, looks like an awesome place to live and sail!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mind you, something like half of all "Sydney oysters"come from Wallis Lake, so there are endless rows of oyster leases which tend to disrupt my sailing somewhat, given that there is so much shallow water everywhere (navigation by centreboard braille - my fishfinder starts flashing the depth when it is 0.5 metres or less!).

Luckily a quick exit in the other direction puts me out amongst the whales in the Tasman Sea. (Where I am off to in about 30 minutes actually)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

motoenthusiast wrote:
I have to say I feel like a kid at Christmas time. Really looking forward to sailing around the local waters. I've picked up the basics with the sail on the Outback but expect the Island to be much more sail-worthy (if that's a word or even a concept:oops: ) My wife and I are both avid motorcyclist and our Goldwings haven't had nearly the mileage they are used to on them since we've had the Hobies; and I expect even less with the arrival of the Tandem Island. I must say this forum is awesome. I really enjoy the participation of the Hobie employees. I've been on a lot of motorcycle forums and never seen a Honda rep get on the Goldwing forums to answer questions.

Agree!
I'm on my third Wing & only use it a few times a year - usually for a m/cycle event/trip.
I get a great deal more pleasure from my Hobies and have converted lots of my m/cycle mates to them. Even those who have large sailing boats, more often than not prefer their AI/TIs. :wink: :D

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the hobie heavy duty cart (PLUG IN) and the TI is a beast to pulll around and the amas are not properly supported. The cart is nice to keep on the TI for very short pulls up a shore. But if you are pulling any distance to launch, your better off with the better supporting cradle