Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My rigged Revolution 13
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The plan was to get out this morning for some bass fishing, but weather changed my plans. Instead I made a couple of adjustments to my boat and thought I'd share. Any comments/ suggestions/ questions are welcome!

Hobie Revolution 13

-Sidekick outriggers (stored in front hatch when not in use)
-Scotty gear mounts
-Humminbird 170 Fishfinder - Just relocated the transducer to its current location. It was a "thru hull" installation but couldnt fix the bubbles which lead to inconsistent readings
-The rod holder in the front is simply 2 pieces of pvc. One smaller that fits in the hole, then one slightly larger on top so the rod holder can swivel. Scotty rod holder is glued in the pvc.
-Battery is in the front hatch
-"Stick It" anchor pin

Last edited by ncy7d on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:41 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your links require that people have an account to see them In order to post pictures you need an account with a photo sharing website like Photobucket to host the pictures and then you can put in the image code in your post to show the images.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok let me see if I can figure this out...

Pics added above

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've always wanted to know, for kayak anglers who use the milk crate idea, where do you put your catch? or are you more into catch and release?
I would do this, but I put a large catch bag in the trunk area.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I personally do not keep any fish I catch, but I believe many would keep fish in the large front hatch on ice.

I target largemouth bass (in freshwater) and redfish, trout, and flounder (in saltwater). I try to get a quick picture and return the fish to the water as quickly as possible

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gotcha!
I target Mackerel, Kingfish, Tuna and Amberjacks when I go offshore (75% of the time) therefore long catch bag required. Trout and Pompano are the goal when I go inshore (remaining 25% of kayak time), which is when I use a small insulated bag in the front hatch as you mentioned.

I also like the placement of the fish finder. I think I will use the quivalent spot on my Revo11 when I get the fish finder.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you find that the transducer bracket creates any drag when under way?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

take a closeup picture of your transducer mount. Is that yakattack dogbones you used.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have only been out once with the transducer in its current location. There was some turbulence when peddling at a good pace. It did not seem to slow me down or have any effect on tracking or depth readings. I am working on making the mount a little more aerodynamic (bolts instead of the large scotty knob). Worst case I can adjust the arm to the up position if I am going a long distance and dont need a depth reading. This is definately a negative of this mounting option, but the improved readings over my through hull installation seem to be worth it. There was a lot more detail on my screen when paddling over stumps, bait, fish, and other structure. Ill post some updated pics after a couple experiments.

All the mounting hardware is Scotty. There is a quick release which extends the arm over the edge of the boat (parallel to the water) and an extension arm which drops the transducer vertically into the water. I modified one of the Scotty "male" plugs to mount the transducer to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Cool thanks

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you you consider a mad frog liberator for your transducer mount.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The reason for using the Scotty parts for my mount is because that is what already had. Originally I had the transducer in the hull, a Scotty extension arm on the fishfinder and an extension arm on a rod holder on the right hand side. It seemed too cluttered and I rarely found myself using the rod holder up front. Using the parts I already had I reconfigured to this setup. I took it out yesterday to a lake and the detail was much improved over the thru hull transducer.

Ill see if I can get some close ups of the transducer mount