Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hit the Willamette in the old kayak yesterday. Between 7:30 and 12:30 I caught 10 bass with the biggest going 2lb 4oz.

I caught one on a tiny torpedo, 2 on a shaky rigged senko and 7 on a crankbait (I think it is Hot Lips) in crayfish color. The topwater and senko fish were small. I caught 4 respectable fish on the crankbait, but the other 3 were small. The best fish all came from short points or humps that dropped sharply into deep water. I did not fish the docks except for a couple of casts, but I did not pull anything off a dock.

At 12:30, I anchored up for sturgeon and only caught one 30" shaker between 12:30 and 3:00 after changing spots twice.

I had to leave by 4:00 so I thought that since the sturgeon bite was slow I would try the crankbait one more time. I only had one hit but it was a pig. Hooked off of a shallow point with a steep drop on 3 sides. It took off for deep water ripping out my drag. Unfortunately, a big boat wake came (stupidly did not see it coming) just as the fish cut back towards my left. The wake made me give the fish a bit of slack and it was gone. I do not want to hazard a guess as to its size, but it was definitely going to be in the pig category.

Overall, it was a pretty darn fun day.

A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are built for.
--John A. Shedd, Salt from My Attic, 1928