Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok I'm planing to pick up my 2013 Pro Angler 14 from the shop when it comes in and put it in the bed of my truck, I have a full size bed 8 ft. and 10 ft with the tail gate down. My Truck has been sprayed with a bed liner that is Rough and I heard that I would be able to use PVC Pipe for it to rest on so that i don't Scratch it up, but what size of PVC Pipe should I use? And i'm assuming that I will need to mount them on a board of some kind. Along that line that means I will still have about 4ft of PA-14 hanging out the back side, and that I will need to flag it. Any Suggestions out there to make the bed liner rack would be greatly appreciated?

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14 (Dune)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

1 1/2" PVC with foam insulation over it. It's just a matter on how you want to secure it to the truck bed. If you do a search on the PA forums, you'll find several styles.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'd be concerned with the PA rocking side to side in the bed of the truck. I'd suggest getting the PA cradles and mounting them to a plywood sheet you could secure in the bed of the truck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have sprayed on liner also. I just bought a small rug that covers the area where the kayak goes. I don't store the kayak for long lengths so I'm not worried of problems with the PA in the truck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd go with 2-inch PVC mounted onto a flat frame of some sort to keep the pipes securely located.

If you leave the pipes natural, the PA will slide on and off of them like nobody's business. Of course, this can work against you while actually transporting the boat unless you're careful to tie the boat so it can't slip off and out of the bed underway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have 3" PVC pipe that are spaced 11.5" apart center to center and they align perfectly along the scupper line. Tie them off from the handes to the tie down spots you should have on your bed and you should be good. Mount the PVC on some plywood and your gtg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

PECo wrote:
I'd suggest getting the PA cradles and mounting them to a plywood sheet you could secure in the bed of the truck.

Yeah this is a good ideal, I was also thinking of the PA cradles mount to. But I will have to wait on that for a bit, spent all the cash on the yak already :oops: Going to have to find out how much it will cost for the mounts, I will have the Kayak tied down so that was not going to slid out anywhere, I also like the idea of getting a rug and plywood with 3" PVC that Bigkidneys was saying with 11.5 apart I was wondering how far apart I would have to space them, myself Thank all of you for your suggestions. And keep them coming.

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14 (Dune)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yep, measured them to see how far apart to space them. Haven't had any issues and the PA slides on and off easily with no scraping. Of course if I had the $$ I would spring for the cradles but still have another 18 months till I can retire Gunny. Then maybe I can afford it :D Btw, spent 7 of my 18.5 in Lejeune. Semper Fi brother!

Doc Trout

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a PA14 and it works fine in the back of my 6 1/2' Dodge shortbed. I added a hitch extension rack on the back. You can get the extender on sale for around $50 at Harbor Freight. I would advise padding the extension bar to prevent shafing on the bottom of your PA. I have a rubberized mat in my truck bed and put a short piece of carpet immediatedly under the mirage drive hole for added protection. I strap the PA to the back hitch extension and another strap through the front handle to the front of my truck bed. I haven't gotten a scratch on the bottom of my PA and it is rock solid during transport. This works like a dream for loading/unloading.

I just bought a topper shell for my truck and my PA still slides in...no problem. I will likely buy a ladder rack that fits on the outside of my topper when I want to use my bed for camping or hauling other gear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was at harbor freight the other day looking for the bed extender, they didn't have it and they didn't know what it was, can't find it on their site either. Any chance someone has a sku number on it so I can get one?

jims wrote:
I have a PA14 and it works fine in the back of my 6 1/2' Dodge shortbed. I added a hitch extension rack on the back. You can get the extender on sale for around $50 at Harbor Freight. I would advise padding the extension bar to prevent shafing on the bottom of your PA. I have a rubberized mat in my truck bed and put a short piece of carpet immediatedly under the mirage drive hole for added protection. I strap the PA to the back hitch extension and another strap through the front handle to the front of my truck bed. I haven't gotten a scratch on the bottom of my PA and it is rock solid during transport. This works like a dream for loading/unloading.

I just bought a topper shell for my truck and my PA still slides in...no problem. I will likely buy a ladder rack that fits on the outside of my topper when I want to use my bed for camping or hauling other gear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oops, disregard last, I just found it on their site by searching the word "bed." Part #45830.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I really don't know if the cradles are worth the $250 or so..

Tom's solution of the PVC works fantastic, although I originally spaced mine 10" centerline to centerline if I had to do it again it'd be 11" CL to CL. I have this setup on my trailer. It makes loading/unloading so ridiculously easy. I use a Wheelez kayak cart with the rail accessory and when loading up, I tilt the PA up and push. Slides right on, no problems. Same with unloading.

I'm loving the fact that I can load and unload the PA in under 5 minutes. The most time consuming part is securing my gear and the straps.

Sure beats my old setup where I had a native ultimate on J cradles on top of my car. It would take a solid 15 minutes to bring it down from the top, put all my gear in and then carry it to the water. Not to mention that it was hard work.
Now the most lifting I have to do is to lift the nose of the PA high enough to get it on and off the cart.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bigkidneys wrote:
I have 3" PVC pipe that are spaced 11.5" apart center to center and they align perfectly along the scupper line. Tie them off from the handes to the tie down spots you should have on your bed and you should be good. Mount the PVC on some plywood and your gtg.

What is the length of the PVC pipes? 6 feet or longer? Thanks for reply.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

GunnyJ wrote:
PECo wrote:
I'd suggest getting the PA cradles and mounting them to a plywood sheet you could secure in the bed of the truck.

Yeah this is a good ideal, I was also thinking of the PA cradles mount to. But I will have to wait on that for a bit, spent all the cash on the yak already :oops: Going to have to find out how much it will cost for the mounts, I will have the Kayak tied down so that was not going to slid out anywhere, I also like the idea of getting a rug and plywood with 3" PVC that Bigkidneys was saying with 11.5 apart I was wondering how far apart I would have to space them, myself Thank all of you for your suggestions. And keep them coming.

Oh, I didn't understand the PVC pipe suggestion, but I do now. That's a great idea. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

To get the proper spacing on how far apart to set the PVC pipes, simply sit your PA on the pipes before securing. The kayak will "settle" into a natural fit. Simply measure and then mount.