Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally had some time to fix my trailer so it does not damage my tandem island from not enough support. I decided to transport and store on this trailer and built extra support and used some pool noodles to have as supports as soft as possible.
Do you think this is enough support??
I also will cover it with tarp but I read somewhere that heat trapped between the tarp and kayak might melt it???
What you think?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That looks great, and no the tarp won't melt it. The worst thing that can happen to your kayak now is UV exposure. You'll want to keep it covered and away from the sun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I run lengths of garden hose through my pool noodles for extra support. If stored outdoors, even under a tarp, be sure to treat the hull with 303 UV protectant. You can get it at most Ace Hardware stores.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice Boat Kommy.

Use a good quality WHITE tarp and expect to replace it every year or so. That will do the trick.

The support looks perfect, except for the top bow area. This is a weak point in the plastic and tends to flex a lot so avoid putting too much pressure on it when storing in the heat. Also, never store the boat with straps tight, it can deform even the Amas!

Are you planning to assemble and launch from the trailer?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool thanks guys.
I will look for that UV spray tomorrow, got ACE hardware right next to my house. Got 2 tarps I will cover this with. I do not mind buying new tarp every year , still cheaper than buying new TI every year, lol.
As far as front, so far its barely touching that noodle. I tried putting my weight on top of it and looks like its not moving since most of the weight distributed further to the back on those supports.
I just had my garden hose break, so I will try cutting it in pieces and slide them through the noodles to give it extra support.
AS far as launching, in a perfect world I would love to store it other way around and just slide if off but I'm too broke to buy the cradles and this seemed like the cheapest fix, just more work launching it, but I guess I can live with it- if this way the boat lasts longer.
I think I can pretty much assemble the whole thing under 15 minutes by myself, plus I got the beach wheels to help with sliding it off the trailer or getting it closer to the water.
Thanks for the tips and info everybody!!!