Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 88  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great to see something so functional can also look so good.
Very nice work! 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

...and for all you fake woodgrain fans here are the finished foam/aluminium sandwich haka:

Specs-166cm long x 33cm wide, Weight=3.9kgs each (without cushions)

I used security mesh to get the correct length (remember these were offcuts not quite long enough.) Tube clips at the rear locate it over the aka. SS press studs are for attaching the cushions. A strap can be fitted through the mesh and around the aka for safety

Padded aluminium hooks locate it over the front aka

Whilst not as elegant as the wood haka I think they are an improvement over my previous ladder haka! (which will still be used for AI expeditions)

We discovered another use for them other than sailing. They make great seats for lunch on the water

...and work well as a table.

They also float.

The haka- a must have, very versatile accessory, IMHO! :wink:

PS -No pics.... but they make a great diving platform as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy, is that Point Perpendicular as viewed through a GoPro?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great post. Now we just need a set in the back for you. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos wrote:
Thanks for posting those pictures NOHUHU - good timing.

I'm building second generation hakas in the next month or so and was considering the middle brace batman has on his. I'll also be incorporating more "haka extensions" (resized) on the second set for more options in jib deployment as well as haka tenting.

What kind and size fasteners do you guys use in the wood? Are they just stainless wood screws? Do you use glue too? My hakas don't look as pretty with the holes drilled in the top for the expensive stainless bolts I'm using.

Do those 3 legged hakas of yours have any underbracings on them or are they free spirits :lol: that aren't too concerned about sagging.
Capt, Batman does not like to get bogged down in writing down details but he has graciously provided this information.

My thinner Hakas use only 4 simple joists. No glue, spans or trusses. If I keep my hands out of the cookie jar, I should be OK on them.

Last edited by NOHUHU on Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Capt, Batman does not like to get bogged down in writing down details but he has graciously provided this information.

A big thanks NOHUHU and please relay my appreciation to Batman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Stringy, is that Point Perpendicular as viewed through a GoPro?

:lol:
The GoPro distortion isn't that bad Chris!
It's Hat Head, just North of Port Macquarie. We recently had a week up there
and explored the coast. It's very different to what we are used to here. The rocks aren't sandtone. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
Great post. Now we just need a set in the back for you. :wink:

:lol:
I like not having anything beside me, though I do have a small piece of the foam/alu board left over. I'm thinking possible quarter deck. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok, this is another stupid question, because I owns TI, but has tree been any discussion of the actual dimensions that you guys are using to make these Hakas?

As I said I own a TI so clearly I could walk outside and take my own measurements, but what is the over all length of the Hakas, and what is the over all width on he versions you guys have been making?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the AI bars are 60" on center so I shoot for overall length of 72". Any longer, you'll create a springboard or seesaw, but they can be extended to carry gear for camping, etc..

The Akas on the TI are a little narrower, so make adjustments to the braces if you want to move Hakas from AI's to TI's.

Also, consider how you plan to transport these buggers, so they fit on/in your vehicle.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU,

Like so many, I've been following this thread with keen interest and curiosity since you introduced the Haka Bench Seats to us a year ago tomorrow - 08/17/11. HAPPY H.B.S. ANNIVERSARY. There's a real good reason why they've been so popular. Congratulations!
With over 18,467 views and counting... now I know why.

Without a doubt, they are the most effective accessory to date that has dramatically increased the sailing performance and overall enjoyment of our boats.

Personally, it enabled me to sail my boat faster then I thought possible. It created better trim and balance. My TI sailed flatter to the water with less "fighting the helm" and there was a noticeable difference and less pressure on the rudder so the boat was easier to steer. Oh... and I haven't even mentioned yet all the new space and leg room they created 8). I'm just sorry I waited so long to build me a set.

Thanks go out to everyone who has contributed their own unique ideas and designs, but most of all Thank You NOHUHU and Batman for so generously sharing your ideas and enthusiasm with the rest of us :wink: .

My Specs: 17" wide 72" long. 16 lbs ea.
Materials: 3 1/2" x 3/4" Red Cedar boards w/ 1" spacer blocks in between. All joints glued w/ Titebond Waterproof Glue.
45 #8, 1 1/4" Phillips Head ss Steel Metal Screws to attach the 5 bottom side wood cleats. 10, 5/16ths x 2" ss Carriage Bolts to attach the 2, 54" long 1/8th x 1" Aluminium Angle underside support brackets. One coat of West Marine Penetrating Epoxy - Kit #3761707, Three coats of a UV Marine Grade Varnish.
Approx. total not including extension handle: $175

1st time out with new Haka Bench Seats installed. (If you look closely you'll see a little smile on Sun E Sailor's bow) :).

Top view: (Small ss plate holds the axle of the Mirage Drive in place, rubber bumper keeps it up and off the deck, bungees hold it down)

Bottom view:

Close up view of Mirage Drive and spare paddle in place:

Long position view of Extension Handle made with RAM Mount parts and an old aluminium roof measuring measuring stick from work:

View of handle in short position:

Close up view:

An idea I'm playing with. Some kind of a Sun Shade when I'm at anchor - just in case I want to take a nap :mrgreen: .

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sun E, much Mahalo for posting that! As far as your description of the benefits of Hakas, I could not have written it better.

The specs on your new Hakas are impressive and they look great. You have a sweet ride there. Thanks for sharing.

A Haka carrying handle? - NOW WHY DIDN"T I THINK OF THAT? :roll:

BM and I are really enjoying this thread too. We hope to see more photos and videos of you all sailing with the benches, wherever you call home.

Most of all, we would like to give a nod to the polynesians sailors, who figured this out long ago...

NOHUHU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

NOHUHU,

Thanks for posting that incredible stone carving. That is really amazing to see!

(Hey, is that guy sailing a Hobie Bravo...? see the Mast Float on top his mast... is that possible? And he's not even wearing a PFD, no jackline or harness either). Those Polynesians were some REAL sailors weren't they 8) .

Funny you should notice the handles, I totally forgot to mention those. They are pretty "handy" though. Just a piece of rope through some 1/2" black pvc pipe. The balance point to carry my Hakas was too tight to fit my fingers comfortably through the space between the aluminium angle brackets and the wood cleat. These was a cheep and simple solution :wink: .

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Stringy,

Very nice work (as usual) clean and neat and yes, yours are lighter :roll: . But of course I'm partial to my wood ones, which if you notice I did incorporate (some) metal components just to keep the playing field level :wink: . I like your cushions - one short and one long was a good idea. Did you have these made for you, or did you make them yourself?

Any new "Boat Cushions" I've ever looked were really expensive. For the moment I'm using some "end of the year close-out" patio lounge cushions from Home Depot. They don't look very sea worthy though. There's a Marine Outlet store close by that sells used stuff, I might have to check that out.

2014 Tandem Island

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sun E sailor wrote:
Any new "Boat Cushions" I've ever looked were really expensive. For the moment I'm using some "end of the year close-out" patio lounge cushions from Home Depot. They don't look very sea worthy though. There's a Marine Outlet store close by that sells used stuff, I might have to check that out.

Sun E ... beautiful work on your hakas. They change the experience completely - You'll never leave home without them again.

Regarding cushions, I just picked up a set of these (on sale now) at West Marine http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=279995&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50821&subdeptNum=50822&classNum=50828#.UC55cqN2M0I Very comfortable but I haven't had a chance to use them on the hakas yet. Larry (Larryhts) uses them on his surfboard hakas. They lay flat to use as cushions or will rachet up to turn into very comfortable seats. Two of them will work as a great sleeping pad too if you plan on doing any expedition trips.

I also want to ask you which ram mount did you use to make your tiller extension?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 88  Next