Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am currently polishing/buffing out the hulls on my recently purchased 1979 Turbo 14. I would like to remove the rudder gudgeons and on the front of the hulls the bridle cable mounting brackets. I want to do this so I can do a more thorough polishing job and to reseal/caulk the screw holes. There is a lot of dryed up caulk around the mounts presently that should be redone. My concern is if there is ever any problems trying to remove the mounting screws that could open a can of worms. Thanks, Clay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi claystroup - Congrats on your new Hobie! Most likely those bolts have been there since '79. If the 14 is like the 16 then there is an aluminum plate backing the gudgeon bolts and there is potential those bolts are frozen to it. Forcing those will open your can of worms - they can break or shear off. Instead, polish best you can around them then remove the old sealer, clean the area to be resealed, and reseal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jonh is correct about the potential for breaking bolts. However, I would verify that they're frozen before ruling out removing them. Put a screw driver on the screws and with moderate force, see if they'll break free. If the boat wasn't used in salt water, there's a good chance everything will come apart fine. Case in point, my dad picked up a 1981 H14 this year and did just what you're talking about with no problems - the boat was used in fresh water only.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My story might help you decide what to do according to the nice advices you got in the previous message : I gave my Hobie 14T hulls to the local boatyard guy for a new gelcoat, the old one was really damaged and used by the beaching without mentionning the monstruous "scorpion" decals on the hulls...
I removed the gudgeon and screws before that and thought I just had to put some new screws (the original hobie ones with the plastic thing on the thread) and go sailing.

Early august, on my vacation spot, I retrieved the beautiful white hulls and start to fix the screws...and then it went bad : the thread in the hulls (the aluminum plate) was too large and the screw didn't hold, I could remove them with my nails... It took some time on the desert place where I am to locate a tap the size over along with larger diameter screws but I had to tap one size larger so the screw could hold tight in the hulls.

Conclusion : I lost one week of sailing out of 10 days of vacation there...and I didn't even tried to setup the hobie cat as these three last days there was no wind. Next year should be OK !

Nicolas