Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is PVC necessary?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

According to my Hobbie dealer PVC really isn't necessary for storing/hauling a PA. In fact, most of the brand new PA's in my dealer's showroom are flat on the carpet without any PVC or support. I have been transporting mine in the back of the bed of my shortbed pickup with a bed extender/rubber floor mat for months without any problem. Obviously I don't leave it sitting in the back of my truck or on any objects in the heat for any length of time. I also store my PA in my garage on a long piece of padded carpet without PVC. I was wondering if anyone has any warping or other problems not using PVC? I would expect cradles and even PVC could warp the bottom of a PA if left in 1 position in the heat worse than laying a PA flat on carpet? Is PVC really necessary? Maybe there are some Hobbie dealers/reps that may want to chime in?

Post subject: Re: Is PVC necessary?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I store mine in the Florida heat in my garage on a piece of carpet on the floor. I also transport it in the back of my 6ft bed pick up with a bed extender and it's even shorter due to having a tool box in the bed. I've seen no deformation or warping from this at all. Been doing it since February when I picked it up

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I cannot attest to the effectiveness of PVC/carpet with regard to anti-warpage but I CAN with the cradles. I was MOST concerned when I found out I'd lost the indoor storage space where I kept my PA 14 for the last 2 years, especially as I watched temps climb into the upper 90's and beyond over a period of 6-8 weeks. I kept going out during the heat of the day to check for warpage around the contact points of the cradles and was so relieved to find it was a non-issue.

I know most companies recommend the use of their products/accessories to avoid warranty issues but in this case, and knowing how Hobie backs their products, I thought it wise to use the cradles and am MOST satisfied with their effectiveness. Are they pricey? YEP! But, I'm glad I sprung for them.

If I decide to buy another PA, I'll also be purchasing a set of cradles!

Cheers all,

GR8 Laker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Short answer is no PVC is not necessary. Most people use it as a method to transport when no smooth and /or flat surface is available.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why take the chance of improper storage? As my father always told me "Take care of your stuff and it will take care of you!"

I have seen the hot FL days turn kayaks into a pancake/banana. If your storing outside or even in a garage, it can get mighty hot. Sometimes that extra ounce of prevention pays off.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There seems to be several ways to store and transport the PA. We all have different circumstances that dictate where/how we can store/carry them.

You don't know what will work for you until you try it based on your unique circumstances. I agree heat is the main factor as these are plastic boats. The weight of what's in the PA would possibly affect flat spots, dents, etc on various surfaces due to heat.

I use the PVC as storage rails because that's the route I chose for my situation. I don't use anything in the bed of the truck and have had zero issues with indentations or flat spots. That's in the high humidty/heat of south Georgia/nothern Florida. I do have a thermometer in my garage and it can get as hot as 85 degrees at times with the doors closed.

To me there's no single recommended solution. Do what works for you based on the wealth of posts here with feedback on the different methods. Just my two cents worth.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass