Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Excited to hear about it. I'm in central North Carolina and try to get out any day the wind appears to be in double digits. Plan to sail through most of the early winter. Always happy to meet someone for a morning or afternoon sail.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm checking for decent wind these days myself. I go Saturday, and some Sundays if wind looks promising. Sometimes a week day as well. Went to High Rock lake one afternoon when the wind was up. Tacked my way up wind for about 2 miles and just when I was ready to fly down wind, it became a very calm breeze :x Hoping for better luck next time. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the nice things about Oak Hollow is that since our winds are predominantly from the west, you run the downwind leg the instant you leave the marina. Getting home is almost always slightly upwind or some sort of reach.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:42 pm 
Hobie Island Club

Hi Tom...Hi Drew...Sounds like you both are only about 18-20 miles apart from each other. Maybe you can start a Hobie Island Club in your area? If you are interested please contact the Hobie Island Club coordinator at [email protected].
Also stop by the Hobie Island Club on the Hobie cat.com website-
if you havent already!
:mrgreen: http://www.hobiecat.com/hobie-island-club/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We're probably even a little closer than that. I'm on the lookout for other owners of AI's or TI's. I think these boats tend to sell themselves once others see them. I was at the lake after first getting mine and the "commodore" of the local sailing club was pretty interested in the thing and how it all worked. Compared to most sailboats, the AI is pretty economical considering all the stuff it'll do.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Starting a club in this area would be great, but for the time being, I feel it might be better to include all Hobie kayaks, or even kayaks and catamarans. Then later, branch it off. Because in all my years of paddling, I have yet to see any one out on an AI or TI.

The closest I've come has been seeing one for sale several months ago on Charlotte Craigslist near Mountain Island Lake, one of the places where my gf and I take our outbacks.