Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The winds were light this afternoon when I had the kids out on our Getaway. We basically drifted in to shore and I set the boat facing the wind, which meant the bow was facing the water and the back of the skegs were just out of the water on the beach. This photo is not from today, but it is sort of how I had the boat parked (a bit further back from the waterline today).
Untitled by SkySaw, on Flickr

I was on the lawn with the family having a snack when out of the corner of my eye I saw my Getaway slip off the beach like a dog that just got an idea. My wife tells me I dropped my cob of corn and said something about the boat. I ran harder than I had ever run before and by the time I was almost knee deep in the water I was slowing down and the boat was picking up speed. I grabbed the tip of one of the rudders (which were still up) and climbed aboard.

Here's my triumphant return to shore. The wind had picked up and changed direction, which is what took it off my beach. A close call, and I will be dropping the main as soon as I get to shore from now on...

http://youtu.be/g_7X9dRAFO4

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is so nice to know I ain't the only one :lol:

it happened to me on a light wind day also.. I had taken the wife and kids out on the 16.. I had walked up to the van fiddling with something ( I think the Go pro camera which should have been on the action ) when the two year is faintly heard saying..

"mommy da boat"

"RONNIE!!!! THE BOAT!!!!!"

:o

it was about ten feet offshore and moving fast enough.. I guess the main sheet hooked the corner casting and it just wiggled away... Anyway... yeah.. I was moving.. Ran into the water and dove.. Took about four good strokes... inches from the boat.. and it found a little puff...

I said.. " oh gosh.. golly gee... " :lol: :lol: :lol:

About that time I hear John E who was up in the lot peeling out in his car.. He cut the corner through the grass as the boat was headed near a fishing dock.. The boat had just gently sailed up against this dock about 150 feet from where it started.. Then.. as he got out of his car the boat starts peeling away from the dock... I am watching this unfold as I helplessly swim back to shore.....

He makes a flying leap from the dock and saves my day... it was close though.. that boat was rearing to go...

At the end of it all.. It was a great laugh.. We were both sure the boat was going to smack the fish feeder.. or whatever.. but other than that we were in the breakwater area at Clinton lake.. and I don't think the boat could have escaped to the main body... but heck.. after watching it sail away so skillfully.. I dang sure wouldn't have bet against it.

So yeah.. Beach them things properly and unhook the mainsheet...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Wow, that's a good story. It's amazing how 1 second can be the difference between a funny story with a happy ending, and a maddening or painful memory.

I'm smiling now, but had it been 1 second (or less) longer, I would have stood there watching my Getaway sail off into the building breeze.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No need to drop the mainsail everytime you beach, just pull the boat up farther onto the beach so it can't go anywhere. Based on the pic you included, you clearly didn't pull the boat up enough. If the wind direction is such that you must land with the sterns towards the beach, all you need to do (with two people if possible) is reach down, pick up the boat by the rear crossbar, and walk back half a dozen or so steps. Also keep in mind changes in tide if applicable.

If you're going to beach the boat for a while or leave the beach for a while, then I would drop the sails and pull her up farther, but if you're just taking a short break, I wouldn't bother dropping the sails. Just pull it up farther and you'll be fine. We park boats at the water's edge with the sails up all the time.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, I'll add my Getaway getaway story!
We sail off the beach in Galveston, Texas. Back when we first got the boat (2001), one afternoon we pulled it up on the sand a bit after a sail and my wife and I went for a leisurely stroll down the beach.

We heard a commotion and turned around to see the boat already sailing off! Our brand new boat heading to Mexico! One of the kids that was with us was on the shore screaming and there was a fisherman out in the waves who turned and saw the boat heading near to him. He dropped his rig, jumped on the boat and sailed it back in!

And now the kicker...
The fisherman was obviously sad about losing his rig and the boy that had been screaming went out into the water and found the rod and reel! What are the chances of that happening in the Gulf!

Now, we either use the beach wheels or we pull it up pretty far, unhook the mainsheet, and release the mainsail downhaul. But I never forget it could sail off on it's own!!