Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Would the rudder alone be able to nimbly control turns when using a trolling motor which is attached in a fixed straight position on the very center back of the PA12?

Or, does the trolling motor need to pivot to control the steering? Any differences in the ability to turn when using the rudder alone to turn the PA12?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just like the PA without a motor, water still has to be moving across the rudder before any steering is possible. The only way to get the kind of steering response I believe you are talking about would be to use the motor to steer. Using the motor to turn, you can turn on a dime....Using the PA's rudder to steer while just using the motor for the propulsion, requires the PA to be moving first to get water moving across the rudder.

My PA has the trolling motor centered on a transom at the rear in a fixed, straight position. As long as I have movement, the rudder steers great...But when I'm just getting started moving, I've found it better to leave the rudder in the stowed position until I know that I'm moving...Just like when you are first starting to pedal the mirage drive, you have to pedal a few strokes before you notice that you are moving and the steering becomes responsive...

Hope that answers your question

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakfish is correct the rudder control will be soft compared to the directional motor, However, if the motor is placed in the drive hole the rudder control will be more aggressive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, the rudder will still be very effective when mounting a trolling motor on the stern, locked straight ahead.

Keep in mind that you lose some turning radius due to the keel effect of hanging a motor off the stern.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've had mine locked down and I had problems just using the rudder. The rudder turns great in 1 direction but less in the other direction. I had a side mount transducer and the drag on that side made it track to that side at high speed even with the rudder turned all the way to the other side. It would go ok at slower speed. I just jury rigged the engine to the rudder steering drum so the rudder and the engine turns the same way at the same time ....... haven't tried it yet.

To answer your question ........ yes it will work but not the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Memory Maker..let me know if your connection to the stern works. I'd like to know the setup if it does. I finally got my trolling motor rigged up and a little disappointed with the turning radius just using the rudder. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Why does everyone think they are better engineers than Hobie's team.?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

hinserra wrote:

Hobie Engineers are people just like the rest of us...But...Hobie is a BUSINESS also, that is in the business of making money, TO STAY IN BUSINESS...The engineers did the best they could, to think of and design a quality kayak that would serve the needs of the kayak fishing community, for which the Pro Angler was intended, and to be able to maintain a reasonable profit margin...Including everything that you would need, but leaving enough room for personal customization...Sooo...In the case with the PA, they designed a great fishing platform...But...Everyone is different, and everyone has a different idea of what would work better for them. No matter what design, or who designs it...There will always be someone that thinks of a modification to make that design better...You don't have to be a paid engineer to come up with a better design. Thats one of the things that make this forum so great. You can listen to other people's opinions and ideas...Look at their pics...Then decide if you like their design changes and want to include the changes onto your PA :wink: Its always been human nature to want to design a better mouse trap. No-one is disrespecting the Hobie design team, just because they might have thought of a better design for something on the PA than the Hobie Design Team...

Hobie monitors this forum and I'm sure thay get many ideas for future PAs from listening to comments from the forum members about possible improvements. For example...I bought my PA in 2009. It was/ is a great fishing platform. But...When I bought mine, the steering knob was located under the seat (not so easy to reach or adjust) and it was too easy to oversteer...Hobie was made aware of these issues from listening to discussions between it's forum members, and so they came out with a larger steering hub replacement that helped to solve that problem. And as far as the steering knob placement...The same thing happened. After listening to the forum members discussions, Hobie decided to include an upgraded steering knob design in the 2010 PAs where the steering knob wasn't attached to the seat anymore...I hope that I've helped with your question 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well put Yakfish...

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hinserra wrote:

Because Hobie Engineers WILL NOT bring out a rear mounted engine for the PA and we are left to our own engineering to produce 1. Since Torqeedo makes the Evolve, Torqeedo is also reluctant to come up with a solution because they are concerned about their relationship with Hobie and the little they would make from the mount.

If they made 1 I and many others would buy 1. I don't like the mirage drive engine mount for the reasons I stated before so I am left with figuring it out for myself like everyone else ........... there have been many posts over the last year about this ....... sorry you missed them

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The movement of the steering tiller from the seat to the gunwale is the only mistake I think Hobie made on the PA - it was absolutely perfect (and is easily adapted to steering from both sides). Any inclination to oversteer was solved by spending a little more getting used to it. I would not buy a current PA due to the steering position. But that's just my perspective. Everybody likes something different. I know they can't please everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tom Kirkman wrote:
The movement of the steering tiller from the seat to the gunwale is the only mistake I think Hobie made on the PA - it was absolutely perfect (and is easily adapted to steering from both sides). Any inclination to oversteer was solved by spending a little more getting used to it. I would not buy a current PA due to the steering position. But that's just my perspective. Everybody likes something different. I know they can't please everyone.

X2!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's how i attached mine, the mount uses existing holes and to connect the steering just needed 2 small holes to run cord back to the motor.

Like YakFish said, there are a lot of ways to personalize a PA... it all just comes down to what works for your type of fishing and personal preference.

Hopefully this will provide some inspiration.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry to disagree Tom .......... I had both the 2009 and 2011 PA's. Never liked the underseat steering. Always had problems with it. The Built in gunnel steering is a dream in comparison. I sold the 2009 and kept the 2011. I was about to pull the trigger on a 2010 until I realized it had the seat steering.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's why I said it was a personal preference and that no position will please everyone. For me, the underseat steering tiller location is perfect - easy to use while resting my hand on the seat, never had any problem with oversteering, and was able to easily fabricate a right hand steering tiller connected to the main tiller on the left hand side without anything being in the way. Both my PA fishing buddies like their underseat tiller as well. They've had no problems.