Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was at the Toronto Boat show today. I've got a 2008 Bravo.

This is my boat.

This is a new boat.

Obviously there's been a design change. Can this be retrofitted to my boat? Should I? Can you (Matt, someone from Hobie) talk about the advantages of the new design?

I've had some trouble with mine coming loose in the past. I used loctite, on it, but I noticed in addition to the hinge style arm, that it is only mounted with one screw that goes right through. Mine has two, that I believe do not go right through. The new design would seem to eliminate the pressure that was loosening my design.

Any advice, or comments would be great!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We made this change in July of 2009 (so for 2010 model year)
Bending of the a frame and arm is always going to have variable - the original system just threaded into the a frame and not the gate - the new system closed a bit more 'positively' - in order for the screw to 'line up' correctly it needed the second hinge point
You could change to the new system I believe just buy changing out the parts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Perfect! Thanks. I'll see how mine holds with the loctite, but if I have any problems, It's nice to know there's another style that will work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi!
I know that this is one of the old hinges but...Just bought a Bravo used and today was my first time stepping the mast. After it was all the way up, I went to turn the hinge and lock it but it wouldn't actually reach far enough to the screw to lock. Below is a an attachment of the photo. Hoping that its just me doing something wrong but your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
http://s1153.photobucket.com/albums/p517/liamr3/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It looks like your album is password protected, so I can't view it.

The mast has to be right flush with the tripod. Make sure the plastic safety clip isn't in the way. Beyond that, I'll have to see a picture to figure out if anything is wrong. Hopefully your tripod isn't bent. Maybe your little arm thingy needs adjusting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try now, it should work. When I step the mast, it almost looks like the A frame is too high, or the mast ball (mast) is too low because they aren't fitting perfectly(as in thee mast isn't fitting perfectly around the top of the A frame), Im sure you know what I mean.

Thanks a lot!
Liam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That actually looks kind of normal. You have to snug it in there. From that picture, it doesn't look too high or low, just snug.

The other side does have two screws, and it's possible that they need to be adjusted, but if the previous owner used it as is, I wouldn't adjust things yet. If you push that arm towards the mast, and screw the screw into the arm, you should find that they come together. It's a snug fit on purpose.

(by the way, here is the image, in case other users want to see it, and help out)

Oh yeah... one more thing. You need to update your signature now that you have a boat! Congratulations! :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would like to retrofit this new arrangement on my 2009 Bravo; is this possible? If so, can someone please provide the new part numbers for the new Hinge Gate (old P/N: 90500021) and assuming I have to also replace the Mast Keeper Knob shaft since I guess the new shaft is threaded all the way to the end, unlike the old shaft (old P/N: 90502031). Also, are the same screws used to attached the new hinge gate (P/N: 8031130)? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:04 am 
Site Admin

This is not considered to be retrofit-able. There is a significant difference in attachment hardware and I presume positioning. We do not have a kit. The option will be to replace the entire a frame.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)