Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So I've been going back and forth between barefoot (i.e. cutting up my feet :( ) or wearing a wornout pair of Crocks when I sail. Neither choice seems to be a good one.

I'm trying to decide on the proper footware for the job. Was thinking about a pair of Zhik or Gill hiking boots but thought I'd get some opinions before I spent that kind of dough just to look goofy. Are hiking boots worth the investment?

Anyone tried these? Seems like they would always be full of sand.
http://www.zhik.com/ProductDetails.aspx?category=1&element=62&PKID=5706&CategoryID=

Other suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went through the same thing recently. I found Crocs to work okay, but once in the boat I felt they were a little bulky.

Last week I ordered several pairs of water shoes. The ones I liked the most are SON-R Feedback Bungees. I chose these out of two other Sperry models and a Zhik pair. They're light and comfortable wet or dry. This time of year I'm not wearing any sort of waders or splash paints so they're just on my naked feet. I may do something else once cooler weather hits.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like barefoot, or insulated neoprene booties.

But for several sports, I LOVE these... (you're going to laugh... they're NOT for everyone)

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

While barefoot is nice it's just not an option for me as I always end up with a cut or a bruise so I gave in and all my boating will be with foot wear, power, sail or paddle. This is especially true for my H16 that I sail mostly solo and am mostly hanging out in the trap, a good foot grip on the rails or hauls is a plus.

With this in mind, launching from the beautifull Crystal Coast sandy beaches, sandy being the key word, many sail specific shoes end up just that, sandy and uncomfortable.

My favorite footwear for warm weather is simple a pair of decent open water sandals with adjustable straps, sand does get in but it just takes a quick rinse over the side and all it's all gone. My second choice for fall and spring is a good pair of diving/sailing neoprene booties, they are high enough that in most condition sand does not get in, especially when you wear a full wetsuit in the cooler seasons.

Hope this helps, happy H16 sailing, I love mine.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found Crocs too slippery on the trampoline and wet fiberglass or plastic (friend has a Getaway). Also too loose fitting to safely hike out on the trapeze.

I have a pair on neoprene low cut booties I use early and late in the season with a wetsuit from Mountain Equipment Coop

And also a pair of Vibram Five Fingers KSO for the summer

i really love the five fingers, but only used twice so not sure how well they wear.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Without a doubt, these are the best sailing shoes i've ever had. Comfy, grippy & light+ they float.

Here's the link:

http://shop.nativeshoes.com/v5fmsnet/Oe ... SS1=383110

gcoop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gcoop wrote:
Without a doubt, these are the best sailing shoes i've ever had. Comfy, grippy & light+ they float.

Here's the link:

http://shop.nativeshoes.com/v5fmsnet/Oe ... SS1=383110

gcoop

Link don't work. Complains about session timeout.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Teva Dozer's work great on boats with side rails. They grip well, are very comfortable and, best of all, sand and gravel wash right out with a quick dip in the water after launching. They go on and off real quick and dry fast with synthetic uppers. They do equally well with personal watercraft, white water rafting and most other watersports. They seem to last forever too. In cold water I use a pair of neoprene socks under the Dozer's.

On boats where you trap out on the fiberglass hulls (no frame) I use Sperry Grip X3 booties. The Teva's soles are a bit too hard for slippery fiberglass although I have had no problems standing on the hull while righting the boat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

56kz2slow wrote:
... And also a pair of Vibram Five Fingers KSO for the summer

i really love the five fingers, but only used twice so not sure how well they wear.

They wear very well. I wear the KSO's for running, and walking the dog, almost daily. Very little wear while using them on sidewalks and asphalt for the past 2 years (Spring, Summer, Fall use only, a bit too cold in the snow!)

They're great for a boat... if you can get by the looks. Make sure you get sized correctly, they need to fit like a glove, not at all like Crocs, which I think would be hazardous to use while moving around on a boat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is crucial to wear something on your feet. Last summer I capsized and ziiiiiing the traveler cut my foot right open.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

augaug wrote:
... if you can get by the looks. Make sure you get sized correctly, they need to fit like a glove, ...

I hear you. I ordered mine online, and with the Europe sizing, I had no clue what size to get, so I went to a local store and tried some on until I found the right size. They were 90$ and would not match the price, so I went home and ordered the right size for 60$CDN online.

I'm actually thinking of getting the Trek LS for an all around shoe (leather upper).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another thing about footwear selection, they have to work well for swimming.

Last time I pitchpoled, I was wearing sandals and I had a hard time catching up to the boat drifting away. Crocs, sneakers or any heavy shoe are not good for swimming. A small show that is shaped to your feet will swim better.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I LOVE the five finger shoes... just make sure you buy the kind with the strap... If your foot hits the water with the slip on type you will loose it.. Ask me how I know.

When out on the wire I like to put the back half of the main sheet in between my toes... this might be a bad idea for some reason.. but it works great.. It keeps the sheet out of the water and under control...

Having toes available to hang onto all the extra stuff is nice when you are short on crew. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sperry top siders canvas or leather in the heat in cold weather scuba boots
Former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are some deals on Vibrams now at REI outlet.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?cat=22 ... 3AFootwear^jxBrand%2CVibram

I love to run in my Vibram Bikila's.. and I wore them the last time I sailed, because I found that my Keen sandals were a bit too bulky.

The Bikila's stunk after wearing them one time in the lake, so I decided I needed a dedicated pair. I bought some of the Vibram Sprint's from rei outlet. The sole is much thinner than my Bikila's and I think they will work nice on the boat since there is a lot less fabric to soak up the lake.

I have a pair of expensive Sebago modern deck shoes that are neoprene similar to Vibrams... but like my Bikila's, there is a lot of fabric that soaks up the lake water, so they usually stink the next day.