Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1981 Hobie 16
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just acquired a 1981 Hobie cat 16. I assume it is an 81 by the serial number,
GAT00679M81E. It needs a lot of work which I am looking forward to. However I need information on exactly how everything is rigged, possibly with diagrams. Also, where to buy parts once I figure out the rigging. Anybody out there that can help.

Post subject: Re: 1981 Hobie 16
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Click on the Support tab above, select Hobie 16 and download whichever document you want information about including the assembly manual.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Congratulations, I also own a Hobie 16, it's a 1980 model I bought in 1981, they should be very similar. The recommendation to use the Hobie Cat web site user manuals is all you should need to sent up your boat. Use the forum for more specific questions and answers to problems. Many of us have somewhat customized our rigs to accommodate person preferences and needs. As you use you Hobie you will figure this out. If you are a first timer sailing a cat you will have to break out the sailing guide for Hobie's, they are a different beast, I really didn't know how to sail until I owned a Hobie, you need to know what you're doing otherwise the boat won't perform well. Take a paddle with you, you will need it. Backwind the jib to help in coming about, don't forget about a righting line, read up on how to right the hobie if you capsize.Best of luck, and above all else, have fun, they are a blast to sail. ackgirl, Valerie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too just got a hobie 16, i get 4 hours a day in a car with a smart phone so i do a lot of reading and I've always like youtube lots of good stuff on youtube,
When i went looking for parts i started on ebay then called hobie in ocenside got through there phone automated system and some one there gave me the name and number of the closest hobie dealer to me,