Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tropical Storm / Hurricane Issac missed us but we did get some strong winds and surf. I took my AI out yesterday and had fun playing in the 18-22 mph winds. Where I launched normally has many powerboats, kayaks and catamarans out. Besides being the middle of the week, It was so rough that nobody was out. All day I only saw 3 powerboats in the main channel in addition to a lone sunfish sailed by two young girls around 12-13 who were excellent sailors. Even the ferry from Honeymoon Island to Calidisi wasn't running due to the conditions.

At the end of the day returning to my launching site, I thought I'd keep an eye out to see if the Sunfish was still sailing. I saw them out toward Calidisi island a little less than a mile from shore so I made one last run out toward them. Getting closer, I noticed one of them in the water and the other one trying to paddle with the leeboard. And then I noticed the large rip in their sail. When I pulled up, I was impressed how calm they were for the situation. The one in the water was trying to push the boat while kicking but they weren't making much headway with the tide going out. Plus they weren't able to get the sail down.

I pulled up and threw them a line attached to my rear aka to tow them back to shore where their mom was. I let out some sail and towed them back under sail. The video shows the conditions and some footage of them being towed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9vuLko8sMk[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like an exciting day out and a job well done.
Always nice to know in an AI/TI you have a plan "B" for propulsion...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As a long time lifeguard and rescue diver I commend you for keeping an eye out for them.

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie Island to the rescue! Love it! Great job!
Scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Great Job Jim!!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Faster than a speeding train,... :lol:

That turned out to be a great test of the new "rescue jib".
Batman says you deserve a superhero hug. Let's just make it a "fist bump"! Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice Job Captain Chaos! Guess you made the two kids and especially their mom very happy :-)

Just curious - there has been plenty of water in your AI..after such a trip in such conditions how many gallons of water do you usually scoop out of your hull?

Peace
Serbi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the comments all. Years ago when we had a powerboat and went offshore out of sight of land I reminded my wife that everytime we passed another vessel out there to try to establish eye contact. Well the very next boat we saw she did that and said I think they're waving us down and sure enough we ended up towing them back. Surprisingly, it happened again later that day which was quite unusual.

Cows - Yes, we have plan "B" (pedals) and also plan "C" (Paddle). That's why I can't see myself ever in another sailing vessel. I like having options.

Larry - Did you notice in the video those very comfortable seats that you recommended mounted to the hakas? Sailing in rough weather can now be comfortable and relaxing with those seats. They're a little heavy for my AI but as long as I don't sink, I love having them aboard.

NOHUHU - Tell Batman thanks for me and that I was thinking a lot about the batboat while out there. Just kind of contemplating how the ride in the washing machine would have been had I had TI amas on my ride. I just wrote to my hobie supplier to see how much a set of ti amas would cost. Might help in the Everglades challenge ... especially with the sleeping platform I made for the AI. Oh .... and it's faster than a speeding bullet, not train !

Serbi, this last trip I did take on water. More than I've taken on before. At least a gallon. Maybe two. I felt it as I lifted the boat onto my truck.

Last edited by CaptnChaos on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I believe you might need to add plan "D" as well. Some time ago I needed towing back to shore after being blown over 5 miles out to see following a rudder line failure (100kg breaking strain Dyeema!). I could sail fine on port tack using the paddle as a rudder, but my TI was uncontrollable on starboard tack.

Today I experimented by lifting the rudder, and when I pedalled, the TI went immediately into sharp anti-clockwise circles. I had measured distances between amas & hull etc, and everything was all square, so I can only assume my hull is itself not straight.

I an therefore adding external rudder lines as my plan "D", so I can continue to steer with the rudder even if one of the internal steering lines breaks or otherwise becomes ineffective.

Photo goodness will follow!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice story, Jim. I'm looking forward to the upcoming camping season when we can sit around the fire and tell what happened during our summer "vacations."

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Nice story, Jim. I'm looking forward to the upcoming camping season when we can sit around the fire and tell what happened during our summer "vacations."Keith
I'm also looking forward to camping with you and Nancy again Keith. Especially hearing about that 4000 mile camping trip in the Rocky's you experienced this summer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos :
I have a plan F on my TI, a 2hp 4 stroke gas emergency motor. I'm out in the gulf most of the time both here and Key West, and that motor has saved my butt on many occations. The motor weighs only 20 lbs and stows out of the way when not being used. I always carry at least 50 miles worth of fuel on board (1 extra gallon).

So if my sails fail, I can peddle, if both of mirage drives fail, I can then paddle, when all else fails I fire up the motor.

It might sound paranoid, but I have been caught out several times now 15-20 miles from launch with a broken rudder, no wind, or too much wind or storming. The motor just gives me piece of mind, even if I never use it.
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do you keep that gas inside the hull Bob? That would make me paranoid.

Did you choose the 4 stroke over an electric motor, or did you just have one on hand?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
I believe you might need to add plan "D" as well. Some time ago I needed towing back to shore after being blown over 5 miles out to see following a rudder line failure (100kg breaking strain Dyeema!). I could sail fine on port tack using the paddle as a rudder, but my TI was uncontrollable on starboard tack.

Today I experimented by lifting the rudder, and when I pedalled, the TI went immediately into sharp anti-clockwise circles. I had measured distances between amas & hull etc, and everything was all square, so I can only assume my hull is itself not straight.

I an therefore adding external rudder lines as my plan "D", so I can continue to steer with the rudder even if one of the internal steering lines breaks or otherwise becomes ineffective.

Photo goodness will follow!

All Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks will turn sharply, or even in a circle, if you retract the rudder and attempt to paddle or pedal them in such fashion. Paddling you can keep them straight with the correct stroke, but you'll have to work at it. In order to make the rudder effective there is very little keel depth, thus once the rudder is retracted the boat has very little lateral stability.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony, without the rudder you were likely turning with the wind, possibly current.

I first noticed this on the Revo when pure paddling. It steered like a pig, compared to other yaks. Though I would tend to think the TI Amas would help you track a straight line, better than a monohull.

But you have alot of exposed hull and sail, and a big guy sitting in a high chair too, as I recall. :wink:

Apologies if I am leading this thread off topic from the subject of Capt. Chaos's super powers.

Last edited by NOHUHU on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.