Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wonderful Gift
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My name is Benjamin, and about 3 weeks ago I was given a hobie 16. What a wonderful gift this was. I have a few questions about this gift, to try and get it ready to sail next summer.
[img]"C:\Users\Pally\Desktop\Hobie16.jpg"[/img]
1) The Serial number on it is CCM6662004735, and I am curious as to what this tells me.
2) I set the hobie up once, and things went ok (took me a few hours, cause I have never done it before), and I didn't figure out the rigging. The following day, I went to step the Mast again, and work on the rigging, when the mast base came out. I'm curious as to whether I need to purchase a new base, or if I can drill some new holes and use this one. Here is the picture.
[img]"C:\Users\Pally\Desktop\MastBase.jpg"[/img]
3) In looking over the hulls, I have discovered 2 areas that may need a repair, and my question is whether they need repaired, and what I need to do it. I figure I have all winter to work on this stuff.
[img]"C:\Users\Pally\Desktop\Dent.jpg"[/img]
[img]"C:\Users\Pally\Desktop\Crack.jpg"[/img]

I plan on redoing the rigging. But overall, this Hobie is in great shape I think.

Thanks for your input.

Post subject: Re: Wonderful Gift
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You cant link pics direct to your computer. You need to upload them to a website and link from there. I use photobucket.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

benwolfpage wrote:
The Serial number on it is CCM6662004735, and I am curious as to what this tells me.

That's not a valid serial #.

Look at the FAQ on what a serial number is supposed to look like. There should be alpha characters in the 4th, 9th and last positions.

Also, you should download the Hobie 16 Assembly Manual from the support section.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If the last 3 of your serial number are correct... I be leave that means your boat was manufactures in the 5th production month of 1973. And I think I recall the production year to mimic the audo industry model year.

So September of 1972 would be last three "731"

And "735" would translate to being manufactured in January of 1973?

I'm not 100% sure if this is correct. But that is what my gut is saying I read somewhere.

Naz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for letting me know about the photos. Here they are done right.
Is there enough left on this mast base to drill new holes and rivet it back on the mast, or should I get a new base?
This one I know that I need to fix it, but I just don't know if I need to completely sand it down and go that route, or whether an epoxy would work.
Last but not least, I noticed this crack after removing the rudders. Not sure how deep it goes, but I see little things like this and it makes me question.

As to the serial number, it is the only one that I have found. I only thought it was a hobie cat, because that is what it says on the hull. I have read the FAQ about the serial numbers, but I don't see a combination of letters and numbers.

Please excuse the large pictures, I am very new to all of this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The first three letters of your HIN are CCM, those are the Hobie specific manufacture ID. So the boat is definitely a Hobie. As for the rest of the serial number, I know there are several different styles for HIN's depending on the manufacture year; from when I was researching mine, and mine even has a CL at the end which apparently means absolutely nothing.