Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PassWind wrote:
... I commend you for keeping an eye out for them.

I second this! It's so important to keep an eye out for others, especially young sailors. You Sir, are a great, great man!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great report CC. 8)
You've joined an exclusive club that includes super heroes and even Hobie guru's! :wink:
The mods you've made are looking impressive and in those conditions should be well tested. Nice work!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU:
I have a 1 gallon standard red gas can that I keep in a yellow cloth bag strapped with bungies on the back of the boat, the bag keeps the gas cool and out of the sun.

I have not heard much about any reports on range with evolve systems running on TI's. Roadrunner did a nice graph a while back that outlines the power consumption of a typical V1 evolve. ( viewtopic.php?f=69&t=38339&p=156867&hilit=evolve+range#p156867 )

According to my calculations running an evolve V2 on a TI to get to 4-5 mph (my desired minimum speed) it will take you around 5 miles, then your done for. Thats all fine except when your 30 miles from launch with a broken rudder, or a storm blowing you all over the place, or there is no wind whatsoever. All these have happened to me on many occations, and with my temper, the evolve would be going over the side at that point (LOL). Even with the solar option, I think I would be disapointed, plus I don't have $3500 plus dollars to buy an Evolve system with dual batteries and a solar panel.
I actually dug into this in much detail a while back, and even developed a salt water powered fuel cell that would give me 24-36 hrs of continous charging power (for running at night during the EC challenge instead of the solar panel), but could never get the money together to complete ( I just don't have that kind of money).
I bought the 2 hp 4 stroke gas motor the first week I had my TI back in May 2010, my wife and I went out the same day I bought the boat, we went out Big Pass in Sarasota while the tide was going out (5-6mph current) near sunset. Once we got out into the gulf of course the wind died completely, and we had to both pedal as hard as we could for near two hours to get back in. We were both completely exhausted, so I got a free ticket from her to go out and buy an emergency gas motor ($500 bucks). Ever since then I always have it on the boat whenever I go out into the ocean, especially down in Key West where you have to get back to a teeny island, or die (or start learning Cuban).... It isn't very often I use the motor, it's only for emergency use, but when I have needed it I really needed it badly.
Especially down in Key West when we go out diving, often the dive sites and Islands (like Mule keys, and Cottrell key, or the coral reefs) are sometimes 10-15 miles from our normal launch point at the end of Simonton street. On a good day we may travel 30-40 miles. Just to get from our launch to Smathers beach is at least 6 miles (thats hugging the shore). South of the Island (off Smathers beach) just off shore is crystal clear and 8-30 feet deep, perfect for diving, and lots of beautiful sea life to see.

Thats the main reason I carry at a minimum 50 miles of fuel, and even with my 2 hp motor, I have had to fight current and wind several times where 5 mph top speed just didn't cut it (allmost had to learn Cuban....thats why I'm looking for a bigger motor, I'm thinking of the 3.5 hp (27 lb) Honda motor next time). However I wish there was some way to put a 5 or 8hp motor on, but I'm not holding my breath.
I am guessing that even with a 5 hp motor we are only looking at around 8-9 mph top speed.
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well done. I'll bet the girls didn't call you CaptnChaos.
Continuing with the off thread.
We intend to spend 6 months on a houseboat and TI to travel the lenght of the River Murray in Australia. Three reitired blokes who will not be in a hurry to traverse the 1,476 miles and will probably resort to a motor at times as we are not setting any records.
Bob, can you supply the details of your 2HP outboard and mounting method?
Thanks,
Brian

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Fusion. That more than makes sense.

I admire your approach to safety and to extending the usable range of the TI.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How did towing affect your steerage? I feel like the rudder on my 2011 is just adequate for strong wind conditions. Seems like having a tow attached would really make it hard to stay on point.

Well done!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tjcouch wrote:
How did towing affect your steerage? I feel like the rudder on my 2011 is just adequate for strong wind conditions. Seems like having a tow attached would really make it hard to stay on point.
I had no problems steering. Maybe because I was towing them downwind. This new style rudder has never failed me. Kudos to Hobie for fixing their rudder problems from the older irksome design.