Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not sure where to start this. Was wondering if anyone had ideas or recommendations on how to find other cat sailors in my region? I've did some searching and couldn't find anything. Would really be nice to find others in my area that would like to get together for some crackalackin'. What have you veteran's done as far as networking? Lake Bomoseen(where I spend most of my time) does have a yacht club (fleet 227 I think). Should I start there? Appreciate any input! Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie fleets are a great place to start. The old hands will always be available to help out the noobs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's my understanding that the fleets are racing oriented. Like the one in new england (#448 Division 12?). Really have no desire to race. I really enjoy picking and choosing my times to go out as my schedule enables me to. Only the big air days. If it's blowin', I'm goin'. Looking more for groups of hobie's to sail with. I don't see many around this area. I know they have some in Lake Champlain but those are mostly yacht clubs that rent them out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've heard it said, that whenever there are two sailboats in close proximity, a race is inevitable.

You don't have to be a serious racer to join in, but it does help build camaraderie; and you can watch what the other guys are doing, to improve your own sailing skills.

Personally, I go out in the evenings after work whenever there's wind. When there's a weekend race, I'll join in; but if I see better wind away from the designated course, I'll drop out and go chase it.

A race is always a good excuse to go sailing!

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Funny, I guess my priorities are very different than the average mariner. After spending over 700 hours/year in the open waters around watch hill ri, block and montauck and an additional 300+ hours/season on Lake Champlain in a 19 ft center console for over 15 years and growing up on the water in some sort of boat, a monohull sailboat(o'day's/hobie's) or competition ski boats to my current wave and '96 seadoo speedster, I guess you could understand why I do "what" I want "when" I want. I've seen and experienced unbelievable things in the past 40 years on the water. Some are cool memories. Some i'd like to forget.... LOL.That sounds just like something I would do..." if I was in a race and there was better wind somewhere else on the lake, I'd go where the wind is". But then again, I would have never entered the race to begin with if it was blowin' heavy somewhere else! :lol: