Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Over we go!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tipped our Getaway 3 times this week while trying to fly a hull.....My sister and I couldn't right it ourselves, but with dad around not a problem....Flying the hull seemed VERY unstable....it was gusty though.....any tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Practice.

I've gotten better at flying a hull from just working on one variable at a time. Usually I'll work on it on day that's not to windy. I'll sit on the tamp on the low side or the hull.

Trying to turn with a gust and letting the main out is a lot to do so pick one!

Try setting a course and holding it and only use the main sail to adjust your speed and tip. Don't lock the main sail in. Most times just letting the line go, letting the sail out on its own save me from going over even with a gust. (Doing that on a windy day can cause your boat to drop fast scare your crew, sometimes sending them into the water.) If you are working with the main it might be easier to have a crew member watch where you are going while you watch the block and get a feel for how much line you need to slow your tip reach a stable angle.

Or you can start with you main locked in, heading as close to the wind as you can and slowly ease off until you find that angle that will lift your boat. Turning back into the wind will drop your hull.

I find that controlling a boat from the low side gives me a better perspective on how far I can tip and recover. Plus, it requires less wind.

If you have a crew, tell them stay still and avoid leaning in and out as the boat tips. This just adds to the complexity.

Good Luck!

P.S.

If you or someone on the low side slips into the water causing drag while really flying a hull, it will be back to righting 101.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks a lot this is what I have been doing....I've noticed it is near impossible to gybe while flying...is this true? Hull seems to dig every time!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you are turning you will end up flying the other hull soon. Personaly the boat turns rather well with one hull out of the water for me, but when your hull hits the water your boat will slow down fast, and all turns needs some speed. I usually drop my hull before I turn so I don't loose all my speed at once.

If you want to fly a boat through a gybe, maybe you should try a Moth.