Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with Comptip
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I inherited a H16 from a family member. I've been getting it cleaned up and things are going well. The biggest problem is the bent mast. A tree fell on the top of the mast and can probably be fixed by putting on a comptip. I contacted a friend of mine who used to own a Hobie dealership. He did a ton of comptip replacements back in the day. He happened to have a comptip left in his barn. He included two luff tracks with the comptip. The total length of the comptip is 93". This includes the part that slides into the mast. I believe the newer comptips are longer than this. After doing some research I came across a photo that shows the comptip installed without removing the mast tang and I believe this is the version that I have. I also have a sister screw that he included with the tip.

The problem I'm having is with the luff track. Neither of the luff tracks fit on this comptip. They are not wide enough and no matter how much we stretch we can't get them to go on the comptip. This worries me that I might not have the right comptip. How can I tell if I have the right comptip? Is there any difference between the H18 and H16 comptip?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:52 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hobie 16 and Hobie 18 Comptips are very different. A 16 Comptip is straight. An 18 Comptip is tapered.

It sounds like you have one of the "First Generation" Comptips that could be installed without removing the mast tang. Fair warning - they have a bad habit of working loose. That's why Hobie Cat developed the "Second Generation" Comptip that uses the rivets of the mast tang to hold it firmly in place.

The track is the same on all the Comptips. Unless you know some of the tricks, it can be very hard to install. Try sliding it on from the lower end of the Comptip.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks MBounds,

I see your in Detroit. I'm in Kalamazoo not to far from you. This luff track is a ways off from making it on the comptip. Based on the instructions on Hobie's website it shouldn't require that much force to put on. The force we are putting on it now doesn't even allow the luff to open up for the sail. Maybe if I post some photos it will help explain it better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

As promised here are some photos. I hope someon can identify the problem. Wrong luff track? Wrong comptip? It has a ways to go before it will fit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's definitely the new (current) style comptip. Some of the older
tracks are a different kind of plastic, and are very difficult to install. I believe that there's a FAQ section on track install here somewhere, and to me, it looks like you have all the correct bits.

Be sure to read the comptip installation instructions thoroughly when you get ready roe the install.

Cheers,

J

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

J,

Thanks for the feedback. I've taken a couple very precise measurements and I'm pretty sure this luff track isn't going to go on. There is about 3/10ths of an inch difference between the channel and the locking rail of the luff track. The sail opening of the luff track is about 3/10ths of an inch. So if I eventually get this thing snapped on it will probably just close the luff track making it impossible to move the sail up and down. Am I missing something? I've already cracked one luff track hitting it with a wood block and rubber mallet.

It's good to know that I have a newer style comptip. Thanks for confirming that for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just read this and think I might have to try some of these tips. I don't have a hot tub but I'm sure I could find some warm water.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=36289&p=147372&hilit=comptip+track#p147372

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

lookin at those pics I would say there is no way that track is going on. The groove that snaps over the comp tip is way too skinny.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
lookin at those pics I would say there is no way that track is going on. The groove that snaps over the comp tip is way too skinny.

I agree. The luff track looks identical to the one on my H18 and H17. So either there's a difference in the luff track profiles between the H18/H17 and the H16 and you have a H18/H17 track or you have an older comptip and they changed the groove profile at some point in time. Either way, I don't think your track is going on.

Do you have access to a new boat so you can compare? Or at the very least, measure the length of your comptip. The old ones were shorter.

sm