Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof rack for Pro Angler
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello

First time here and thining about buying a Pro Angler 12 or 14, not sure which yet.
However, I don't want to deal with with hard to load kayak if I don't have to. Trailer is out of the question. I have 2010 Lexus LX 570. Trouble is, I have a little fin of sort on the back hatch.

What is the best roof rack for me? Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

install a hitch and add a hitch truck bed extender

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Go down a few subjects to "ADVICE NEEDED....

There are two pages of advice on this subject. Look on the second page for a posting I did that has some youtube links.

If you do not want a trailer. (Like me) Then you best bet is a set of Yakima roof racks. If you do not want to load the boat off the rear of your vehicle make sure you watch the links I posted.

Good luck,
Lunker1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you don't want to go the trailer route, and want to go with a roof rack, I would recommend going with a Yakima roof rack, land shark saddles and the "showboat" system. The Showboat attaches to the roof rack and can be slid forward or backward. It is nothing more than a large 4' wide roller than can be slid back beyond the edge of your hatch and should allow enough clearance to protect the little shark fin protrusion :D while making it easier to load and unload your PA. Check out this link and scroll down to see the LandShark saddles and the Showboat: http://www.yakima.com/download/catalog/ ... -Water.pdf

Check though, with a Yakima dealer first to make sure the system will work for your application before buying anything. Good luck 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A trailer will be sooooooo much easier to load and unload. All you have to do is back down a ramp and dump it off or pull it on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A trailer is not the best idea for everyone. You vehicle may not have a trailer hitch or may not be capable of having a trailer hitch. You may not want or are capable of driving with a trailer behind you. The short wheel base of a small trailer makes it extremely difficult to back up for the average person. There is the additional cost of the trailer. You must register the trailer and have a tag on it, with lights and wheel bearings to maintain, and do not forget the additional cost of doing all that. Some of the remote locations you may want to launch the kayak may be on a small dirt rough road with no place to turn around with a trailer. The idea of a kayak to many people is to take it to remote areas, with smaller vehicles, where there may not be a formal boat launch, while leaving a small imprint on the area. That is not consistent with towing a trailer. If you want to have a boat that you need to trailer, kayaking may not be the kind of boat you are really in the market for.

I had a fully rigged bass boat that I trailered many thousands of miles each year fishing tournaments. I sold the big boat just because I was tired of that hassle. I still fish tournaments but only as a non-boater so that someone else can have the pleasure of all that hassle. Everyone has different needs or desires with their Kayak. The purpose of this forum is to help everyone fulfill those needs and desires by offering suggestions or alternatives. If you want a trailer then get one. If you need to put your kayak on the roof then learn from others some of the best ways to do that.

Just my two cents

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had my PA14 for about 4 months and there is no way I would think of putting it on the roof - it's just too heavy and the bigger problem is that it's unwieldly. Back of a pick-up would be possible with a bed extender, as mentioned above, to support the back of the kayak. It may be possible to haul the PA12 on the roof but the PA's are heavy - not your usual kayak.

If you want a kayak better suited to the roof, check the Outback. I had one for a year previous to my PA but did not like my rods sticking up in the air and twisting around for the gear stowed on the back was a pain in the, well the back.

I didn't like the single use provided by a typical "kayak trailer" (not to mention the cost) and I wanted bigger tires than comes on most of them, so I built my own trailer beginning with a 4'x8' frame (with 12" tires) purchased from Harbor Freight. Some modifications and it's perfect. Easy to get the PA on and of, it's a secure way to transport it and it cost me less than $450, including the modifications and a spare tire - which is probably less than a good roof system. It doesn't weigh much, I can easily move it around with the PA on it by hand, and is light enough to be towed by a very small car. The short trailer is a challenge to back up initially, but with a little preatice becomes pretty easy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2012 Tahoe that has a small fin on the liftback. I recently bought a PA12. Have put it up on the factory roof rack a couple times without a problem. The rack is rated for 200 lbs per Chev, so no problems there. A Yakima or Thule rack would more than handle the weight. I put a bath rug over the fin to protect it when loading and unloading. I load it the same way you can find in videos online. Here is a good example: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nuyz4u0fk&feature=related[/youtube]

Hope it works out for you. Really enjoying my new ride.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I put a pair of Hully rollers on the aft bar of my Durango, and the video above is exactly how I get my Prangler 14 up top. I'm 65 years old and no body-builder; if I can do it, anybody can.

I recently shopped for a Lexus RX350, and found several things that ruled it out for use with my 'yak: the plastic spoiler probably can't handle the 45-50 pounds of the first part of the process, the cargo door can't be opened more than partway with the 'yak up there, and the spring antenna in the aft center would likely get broken sooner or later.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think the Yakima rack system for the Pro Angler is a great option. I've been using it since day one and it's not too much to handle. I think you do want to unload everything, including the seat, prior to putting it on top of the vehicle, but that's not difficult. I have no trailer to store or to maneuver around the crowded boat ramp or down bumpy unpaved trails.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22283

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Give the Lexus to your old lady (it's a chick car anyway) and buy a pickup.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Norboo - off topic, but what type of rims are those?!? Looks sweet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

TDK wrote:
I think the Yakima rack system for the Pro Angler is a great option. I've been using it since day one and it's not too much to handle. I think you do want to unload everything, including the seat, prior to putting it on top of the vehicle, but that's not difficult. I have no trailer to store or to maneuver around the crowded boat ramp or down bumpy unpaved trails.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=22283

I have done this exact same setup per TDK's great post. It works great. Highly recommend.