Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone ever attempted this? I am thinking of buying a H16 from the 80's and making a fun project out of it. I have had a good amount of experience applying and sanding gelcoat.
Also, if I sanded down (or nearly to) the fiberglass, would spraying on a new layer or two end up making the boat heavier than it would be originally? I would like to race it next summer, but don't want to start with a very heavy boat... In theory this should work (I think) because I would have removed the original gelcoat...

I know a lot of you are going to tell me don't bother, no good reason to, but I have a specific color in mind and like projects. I'm asking about the feasibility of turning an old 16 from the 80's into something I can race next summer (with a new set of sails and all that)...

any advice would be great,
thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Make sure you have a 1986 or later model or your boat will already be 20 lbs heavier.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wasn't it in 1984 that the redline was introduced? I was planning on getting 84 - 86 anyway, but I'd like to clarify that actual year..

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Another question I have, does anyone know what the actual weight of the hulls should be? that would make it much easier to judge whether or not the boat will be overweight while working on it.

thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just did the Gelcoat on my very early boat. A single, fairly thin layer of Gelcoat on a H16 required just under a gallon. The cost at West Marine and Fiberglass Hawaii was in the $120 range for a gallon with hardener and surfacer and supplies. To totally replace the gelcoat (I just lightly sanded mine, and put the new on top), I think you would be talking at least four gallons. And a WHOLE LOT of really stinky sanding. You might be looking at $500 in supplies plus hundreds of hours of sanding. Perhaps less if you are hitting it with an angle grinder rather than a belt sander.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

bassie1234567 wrote:
wasn't it in 1984 that the redline was introduced? I was planning on getting 84 - 86 anyway, but I'd like to clarify that actual year..

Thanks!

its 84

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

bassie, I just did that. That is one heck of a project. I know all about it. What color is the boat now and what color are you to go with?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wpbeyes

I think I found your postings after I posted this topic... yours became yellow right? I'm still looking for a good boat, but mostlikely it will be white, and I would like to gel coat it black.

How well does gelcoat hide the color beneath it?

btw, the orange hulls (I presume those were yours) looked fantastic!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

changing colors is hard depending on what the colors are. Mine were white and i changed to yellow. I found out that yellow doesn't cover well. In fact, where the repairs were, I had to shoot white first. Black would probably cover well, BUT... Black will show EVERY defect! And I do mean EVERY defect. My oppinion is that you better have the patients of GOD to finish it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your boat will get cooked if you go black. There is a reason composite airplanes and gliders are white...and boats!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I did a 17 last winter. I went from yellow to black. It turned out fine but its three time the work you think it is. Finishing is the tricky part. I sanded down nearly to the glass and sprayed 2 gallons of gel and about 2 quarts of dura tec.(you will sand alot off in the finishing) and my hulls weighed within a half lbs. as when I started. I bought my supplies from http://www.uscomposites.com/. good pricing and fast shipping. Do yourself a big favor and buy this spray gun http://www.uscomposites.com/equipment.html Clean up is super easy. I cannot remember but I think a H17 hull weighs about 84lbs. A 16 hull should weigh less.
As for black being Hot? Ya its little warmer but its not a big deal....But you will have plenty of people around to point that out in case you forget :roll:
Black is hard to finish and does show every imperfection but it looks great in pictures...ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone for the great responses!

Hobieandy - That looks amazing. I would like to go through with the black (and buy a boat cover). Question, on the website, where did you find black gelcoat? I could only find "tooling" gelcoat. Can that be used instead? What is duratec? Is that the / a final layer over the gelcoat?

Thanks!

also, is it possible to add metal flakes to the black to make it shine, or does that not spray well?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You would need to buy the Neutral Gelcoat and tint it with a colored pigment. You can buy that with the gel. You can read about Duratec here http://www.fibreglast.com/product/durat ... t-additive Its a little expensive but I do think its worth it. You could mix in a wax(sanding aid) on your final spray and save some money but will spend more time finishing.
bassie1234567 wrote:
is it possible to add metal flakes to the black to make it shine, or does that not spray well?
I have no idea... but that would be cool.
What you are wanting to do is a huge job.. many many hrs. I hope your have a place to work in with a controlled environment and plenty of ventilation. A garage attached to the house won't do (ask my wife...STINKY!) Lucky I had a automotive paint booth to use when I sprayed.
Good Luck and don't be a frayed to ask the tec guys at UScomposites questions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi!

It would seem to me that if you want to race and be competitive, redoing the gelcoat would not be the way to go. I understand that you want a project, and a HUGE project it will be. However, if you go the new gelcoat route, you will most likely make the boat heavier.

Are you sure that a good wet sanding and buffing won't bring the hulls back? Then you could always design and apply some fancy vinyl graphics to get the different look you are going for?

If you do decide to do it, be sure to post pictures! Good luck!