Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Owner Question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought my first Hobie a 84 H18 magnum and from everything I've read on the list it should of been a redline boat built later half of 84. I got to do a good inspection before I bought it and the hulls are solid, it has the shroud stiffeners but none on the ft crossbar which I plan to add. The hulls have blue sealant between the decks and hulls so I am curious if this is standard or maybe the hulls were replaced by Hobie early in its life with later hulls. The vin numbers are correct from the orig. bill of sale. when new.
Thanks for any reply
Steve

Post subject: Re: New Owner Question
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Red or black glue was standard. Are there anchor plates at the front cross bar? If not I would add fiberglass to the insides of the hulls and install the plates inside and outside. Make sure you have the updated shroud anchor pins too. Call Hobie to get the correct part number for the Nyloc nuts for the pins.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Early '84 seemed to be black glue but the fiberglass construction was the same as the red glue boats. You can tell inside if it needs additional patches. Search this site for some great pics of what to repair. Would definately add the brackets regardless of whether you glass or not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

presto13031 wrote:
Red or black glue was standard. Are there anchor plates at the front cross bar? If not I would add fiberglass to the insides of the hulls and install the plates inside and outside. Make sure you have the updated shroud anchor pins too. Call Hobie to get the correct part number for the Nyloc nuts for the pins.

The correct nut for the shroud anchor pins is part #8050311 5/16 NYLOCK. It's the same nut that's used to connect your rudders to the castings. The nut listed in the Hobie parts catalogue, #8050321, is incorrect. This nut will seize up on your new pins and ruin them. Trust me, I've been down that path and it cost me a weekend's worth of sailing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

BrianCT wrote:
Trust me, I've been down that path and it cost me a weekend's worth of sailing.

Mine seized too, I just put the old ones back in, and waited for Hobie to replace them, which they did promptly. It took longer for me to find the package on my porch than it did to ship them.

1986 Hobie 18 #13031

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool thanks for the tips and part no. I have the new shroud anchor pins that came with a bunch of spare parts with the boat. I plan on the crossbar plates asap and glassing over the off season just to be sure, In all the searching I've done here I haven't come across boats with blue glue, just red and black, thats why I'm a bit puzzled on the year of my hulls.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Everything about the boat says 84, sails are nationals yellow 84 but the number is more like an 83 production number 10316, the hulls have the older hin number style (ccmh8424m84h) so maybe this is a hang over from 83?
I can't find coleman on it anywhere and the hulls are solid, I still plan on doing the upgrades and glasswork but I'd really like to know what I have year model
This is the deciding factor keeping me from beach sailing through the surf compared to bay sailing which is all I can do right now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why is model year the deciding factor of how the boat will be sailed?

If the hulls are solid, then do the upgrades and sail the sucker. Hull CONDITION should be the primary deciding factor as to whether the boat is seaworthy, model year makes very little difference. If there are no cracks and no soft spots, then you should be golden.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

agreed, but the weight and strength of the pre-84 boats is a considerable amount better than 84 and newer boats. And if I have an 83 I can push it a little harder without fear of coming apart.
Of course thats what insurance is for....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

After owning more 18's than I care to admit, I have seen soft, rock hard and fraggle boats. The toughest boats I have found are the early 80's white boats. Heavy for sure but built like a brick s@%# house. The older colored boats all seemed to absorb the heat and can go soft.

My 86, 85 boats are very solid but I consider them fraggle. Thinner and although not soft, they do creak and crack. I do handle them with care and I don't take them off shore if I have another boat to sail. Just my preference. These boats have lasted 30 years and I won't be the one to ruin a good thing.

I have also had an 84 just like yours. Black glue, mfg early 84 and was totally puzzling to me. I could probably find the serial # if you're interested.

I weighed the boat and it was 25 lbs lighter than the older boats. So, my deduction was that it was a light hulled boat (before Hobie Changed the glue).

Why do I care about the weight........because I race them and I already give away to much weight in body(s) weight. :-)

SRM is correct that if you do the technical improvements to the boat you should be fine............

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for putting into words what I was thinking, I've had bulletproof cats in the past (prindle and tornado) and never feared them coming apart. But this go round I bought what
I could afford and took a chance after reading the horror stories and pics of broken hulls. I think I got a good one and will eventually do the upgrades as funds permit. right now i'll take it easy sailing it until I get to the upgrades
prime sailing season is here....
Thanks all for your help

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have three 18s, an '85, '90, and '03. I would not consider any of them to be fragile. My family bought the '85 new and it's been sailed and raced a lot over the past 25+ years. I currently use as a beach boat, sail it in the surf. The 1990 is a little on the heavy side, but built like a tank. The '03 is rock solid and at minimum weight, as would be expected.

The point is, it's a Hobie 18, not a A cat. They are all built tough. If it isn't cracked and it isn't soft, just install the upgraded crossbar anchors and sail it. In my experience, the most important things to look for are cracks under the hull flanges at the crossbars, cracks in the front crossbar at the mast step, and ensure the shroud anchor pins are in good condition.

sm