Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am thinking of replacing the mainsheet on my 18,what is the consensus on what to use
Also I sailed my buddies prindle 19 yesterday(and flipped it a couple of times)I think his mainsheet cams were set to low for my liking....anyway my question was the prindle's tiller has next to no weight on it when sailing unlike my 18,seems I am always fighting the tiller.Measured the rudders and they are parallel, are all 18's like this?
thanks
Been using the hell out of the free 18

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

onekiwi wrote:
anyway my question was the prindle's tiller has next to no weight on it when sailing unlike my 18,seems I am always fighting the tiller.Measured the rudders and they are parallel, are all 18's like this?

No. You need to get your helm balanced. It is not just an issue of rudder parrallelism. The first thing you need to do is make sure you're sailing with your rudders fully locked down. If you are and you still have excessive weather helm, then you need to adjust your rudder rake.

If you have the new rudder castings, this is simply a matter of loosening the cam plate adjusting screw, moving the bottom tip of the rudder forward, and re-setting the cam plate. If you have the old style rudder system, you will need to fill the hole in the rudder blade with epoxy and re-drill so the bottom tip of the blade is farther forward.

There have been ton's of discussions about this on the forum as well as recenet Hotline articles on the subject. Point is, you can definitely correct your rudders to get your helm dialed in.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks srm I am off to the lake now for some afternoon sailing, will check the rudders when I get down there

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

one other item not mentioned, is the amount of mast rake there is. if the mast is raked way back, then you incite more weather helm. you should check that as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well, I went down to lake today adjusted the rudders as far forward as they would go(tricky as the cam blocks are pretty susceptible to small movements)... wouldnt you know it the tiller was nice and light, until I hit a tree that was just below the surface (man made lake).So will adjust again tomorrow.The mast has a little rake on it I think I have 2 or 3 holes showing under the furler.
Pretty gusty out there today and I was flying solo.
Thanks for all the advice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I keep two mainsheet and block systems in my cat box. If it is really blowing I use my 7/16 double braid poly mainsheet. It is much easer it hold onto in heavy winds and my hands don't get sore. I light to med winds I use 3/8 which seams to run through the
blocks much better. The line is small in my big hands but I will wear gloves if necessary.

Fleet 259 Central Coast California

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I like the idea of 2 mainsheet block systems.

I recently stripped another H18 and have all its sails, rudders etc. So I will do this with the spare set.

A smaller diameter rope for light winds makes real good sense in being able to play the main with less coaching effort. Maybe even drop a purchase.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

onekiwi wrote:
I am thinking of replacing the mainsheet on my 18,what is the consensus on what to use

No consensus on this, preference. I use Salsa on one 18 a bit narrower than original (9mm, I think) and FSE Robline on the 17 (may be 8mm). Other 18 has Yale's Conception which is super nice. I had NE ropes Sta-set (cheaper$$) but found it too stiff- ok for jib tho.