Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just got my new Pro Angler 12 last week. Was built in the factory the week before. Hobie Cat makes a specific anchor trolly just for the PA12 (HOBIE ANCHOR TROLLY KIT PA 12 PART NO. 72020061). My dealer did not have one and did not think they would be getting one soon enough for me. I ordered one from Austin Canoe and Kayak and they promptly shipped it to me. The directions from Hobie Cat were easy to follow but they claim my boat may have two "hexagon brass pieces" along the center of the boat to attach the two molded eyelets that keep the trolly line along side the kayak and out of your way. My boat is the newest you can get and was just manufactured two weeks ago and it does not have such fixtures so I had to drill the brand new boat and use well nuts to install the molded eyelets. (They make a big deal about having pre-installed threaded fixtures at the front and back of the boat to install the pullys so it is easier and you do not have to drill into the boat. Hobie Cat, what is up with not having all the fittings in place already as the directions state!?) After I installed the pullys and ran the trolly line I found the trolly line was way too short. There are two rings with about 8" of bungee cord in the middle that you tie the trolly rop to at the rings on each end. After I pulled as hard as I could to stretch the rope and bungee I only had enough line to barely touch the ring but could not tie the roap to the ring at all. Besides that, there needs to be some play in the line because you need to pull the rope over the gunnel and twist it around another molded eyelet post, that you installed on the mounting board, to keep the trolly line from moving while in use. I called Hobie Cat and was told the dealer that sold me the item would have to make good on the defective part and that they could not send me a new rope or help me in any way. I called Austin Conoe and Kayak (ACK) and they were extremely helpful. They were willing to take a rope from another kit and mail it to me. I was concerned they would be sending me another rope the same length since the kit is manufactured by Hobie Cat and they had be measure my boat so they could measure the rope and make sure it was the correct size. I called ACK back and said that the rope needed to be at least 24' to extend from the rings, around the pullys, back to the other ring, and have sufficient slack to twist around the molded eye post to secure it when in use. They called me back and said the rope in the other kits were also only 22' (which is what I believe I already have and is too short). They also contacted Hobie Cat and were told that the rope on the PA 12 is supposed to be 22' and on the PA 14 is supposed to be 24' and that the trolly line will be tight at first and will stretch to be long enough. The rope is a rope and does not stretch. I already tried stretching the bungee as far as it will go and 22' of rope is not long enough. ACK called me back again and offered a partial refund so I can go to a marine supply store and get a length of rope that is correctly sized. ACK went above and beyond for something that was not their problem. This problem is caused by the manufacturer of the kit, Hobie Cat, yet ACK was willing to make it good for me as best they could. I cannot say enough about what Austin Canoe and Kayak did for me to correct this problem and how little Hobie Cat did. If you are purchasing this Hobie Cat kit for your PA 12 beware. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too just got the PA 12 I had one anchor trolley added by the hobie dealer and then I put one on myself. The pulleys bolts almost did not fit but after several attempt I got them to work. As for the rope portion I took it as it was going to be tight at first then the line will loosen up with time and so far that is in fact the case. With the pegs that keep the line from coming up over the side they were easy to install and use this far.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

UPDATE: So that I could use the trolly with the rope that is too short to tie to the ring, I had to add approximately 18" of bungee. It is still stretching that bungee to the limit and it has now been on the boat for one week. Unlike the claims of Hobie Cat that the entire trolly rope and bungee will stretch, there has been no stretching at all. Today it is as tight as it was one week ago. If I had not tied the additional bungee to the rope I could not have mounted the trolly to the kayak.

How about a comment from Hobie Cat on this????????????? If you have not change this you are selling this item to others that will have the same problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've installed both a PA12 trolley on a PA12 and a generic Hobie trolley on a PA14 and didn't have any problems with either. I did need a second person to help me stretch the bungee on the PA12 do I could get the blocks threaded.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My experience was, I bought the kit my Hobie dealer recommended. The instructions said nothing about locating the pulleys on the brass fittings at the bow and stern handles. So, I did what the instructions said, mounted the pulleys about 18 inches from each end.

After anchoring in the bay and not liking the position I was in, I searched online and found instructions for mounting pulleys in the brass fittings. My screws didn't fit. Finally found something that would work, barely .. and it is Lock-tited in so there's no working it's way out.

I had to splice the line and add length since the first install attempt left a trolley line that was too short.

So, my trolly goes all the way to the stern and about 18 inches from the bow.
More of a pain in the a$$ than it should have been, but I think I'm going to be pretty satisfied with what I worked out. It's nice to be able to anchor and cast downwind.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Since I started this thread I have been waiting for someone from Hobie Cat to explain themselves for providing too short of rope for the anchor trolly that they sell directly from Hoby Cat but they have not said anything here at all. That is disappointing! :x

Just today I received a new anchor trolly rope from Yak-Gear. That is right Hobie Cat, I had to throw out that too short rope that you provided, go out and buy a new rope of the appropriate length, and reinstall it myself! Hobie Cat, you did a crappy job on this issue and you still have not owned up to your error! :x

I hate to think what kind of response I would get if I had a major problem with a Hobie Cat problem.

Post subject: Re: Other fixes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know this thread is about anchor trolleys, but I bought the PA12, primarily for the Vantage seat.

I had just launched on a lake, leaned back in the seat, and the stopper knot holding the bitter end of the rope in the adjustment handle slipped through and the entire seat back collapsed with me in it.

Didn't have the necessary items to thread it back through with me, so had to pack up, return home, fix it, but did get back out on the water.

Looks to me someone would know how to tie a Figure 8 big enough to not slip through a tiny little hole.

Somebody at the factory needs some retraining.

Despite the initial aggravation, I'm pretty sure I'm water ready now, and I keep the tools I used for repairs in my truck, .. just in case. My advise, take note of how all the running rigging is placed in case you need a quick fix.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Lunker1 wrote:
Just got my new Pro Angler 12 last week. Was built in the factory the week before. Hobie Cat makes a specific anchor trolly just for the PA12 (HOBIE ANCHOR TROLLY KIT PA 12 PART NO. 72020061). My dealer did not have one and did not think they would be getting one soon enough for me. I ordered one from Austin Canoe and Kayak and they promptly shipped it to me. The directions from Hobie Cat were easy to follow but they claim my boat may have two "hexagon brass pieces" along the center of the boat to attach the two molded eyelets that keep the trolly line along side the kayak and out of your way. My boat is the newest you can get and was just manufactured two weeks ago and it does not have such fixtures so I had to drill the brand new boat and use well nuts to install the molded eyelets. (They make a big deal about having pre-installed threaded fixtures at the front and back of the boat to install the pullys so it is easier and you do not have to drill into the boat. Hobie Cat, what is up with not having all the fittings in place already as the directions state!?) After I installed the pullys and ran the trolly line I found the trolly line was way too short. There are two rings with about 8" of bungee cord in the middle that you tie the trolly rop to at the rings on each end. After I pulled as hard as I could to stretch the rope and bungee I only had enough line to barely touch the ring but could not tie the roap to the ring at all. Besides that, there needs to be some play in the line because you need to pull the rope over the gunnel and twist it around another molded eyelet post, that you installed on the mounting board, to keep the trolly line from moving while in use. I called Hobie Cat and was told the dealer that sold me the item would have to make good on the defective part and that they could not send me a new rope or help me in any way. I called Austin Conoe and Kayak (ACK) and they were extremely helpful. They were willing to take a rope from another kit and mail it to me. I was concerned they would be sending me another rope the same length since the kit is manufactured by Hobie Cat and they had be measure my boat so they could measure the rope and make sure it was the correct size. I called ACK back and said that the rope needed to be at least 24' to extend from the rings, around the pullys, back to the other ring, and have sufficient slack to twist around the molded eye post to secure it when in use. They called me back and said the rope in the other kits were also only 22' (which is what I believe I already have and is too short). They also contacted Hobie Cat and were told that the rope on the PA 12 is supposed to be 22' and on the PA 14 is supposed to be 24' and that the trolly line will be tight at first and will stretch to be long enough. The rope is a rope and does not stretch. I already tried stretching the bungee as far as it will go and 22' of rope is not long enough. ACK called me back again and offered a partial refund so I can go to a marine supply store and get a length of rope that is correctly sized. ACK went above and beyond for something that was not their problem. This problem is caused by the manufacturer of the kit, Hobie Cat, yet ACK was willing to make it good for me as best they could. I cannot say enough about what Austin Canoe and Kayak did for me to correct this problem and how little Hobie Cat did. If you are purchasing this Hobie Cat kit for your PA 12 beware. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I have the PA 14 I went with the detachable anchor trolley. I like this since I can remove it and I didn't have to drill any holes in my baby. I tried to paste the like was not able to. Look up on you tube yakntexas and detachable anchor trolley.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry that it's taken so long to answer this question - we don't get into each and every topic, as we are only a small staff and everyone here is busy with pre-season and the Hobie fishing Worlds which are coming up soon.

I asked Morgan (our product manager for fishing here at Hobie) about this topic, here's his response.

"When the anchor trolley is stretched out along the outside rail of the boat it is tight and hard to install and this is because the line will stretch some in time. To make the install easy, do not try to insert the screws in to the inserts while under all of this tension. Rather let the lines go completely straight and sit over the inside area of the boat where they are not being stretched under tension following the outside of the rail. Once the screws are in the line can be pulled over the side rail in to position."

We have addressed the knots being used - we will update the 2 half hitches to a bowline from now on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Jacques Bernier,

You just don't get it!

I installed the trolly as directed and could not get the rope tight enough to tie a knot. I had to install a loop of bungee cord that added approximately 8" of length to the rope so I could tie a knot to start the stretching process you describe. I left it that way, stretched very tight, for weeks and it never got any looser. You claim that this would tretch out over time is false. I called Austin Kayak, where I bought the Hobey Cat brand trolly that was designed specifically for the PA12, and they found that the other new ones they had in their stock were also short. That means you produced the trolly with rope that is too short, Austin Kayak stock is also too short, and if things have not changed you are still producing the trolly with a rope that is too short. Since you do not seem to grasp the idea that your rope is too short and that the rope will not stretch the 10"plus that is necessary to make this work, you are continuing to sell this improperly manufactured trolly kit without correcting the problem.

After several weeks it was necessary for me to replace the trolly rope, at my cost, to make this trolly work the way it is designed to do. That was done with no assistance from Hobie Cat.

I love the kayak. I hate :evil: the way Hobie Cat has dealt with this issue and it appears you have not dealt with this issue at all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Again, sorry that you've had any issue with a Hobie Cat accessory. We are happy to take back a part and give full credit -
We just installed 45 of these kits here ourselves onto PA12's heading to the Fishing World Championships. They all fit perfect.
Perhaps there is something that we're missing - maybe some of the kits left with the wrong length line - can you give measurements on what you have so we can compare it to a current kit - anything is possible... it isn't that we haven't dealt with this - I just posted a reply to this thread which we didn't see until today - you can't say that we aren't dealing with something when it's been 30 minutes upon learning of your issue. Let us try and solve it before you get so upset with us...we always try and make it right - this will be no different.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
After several weeks it was necessary for me to replace the trolly rope, at my cost, to make this trolly work the way it is designed to do. That was done with no assistance from Hobie Cat.

Posting on the forum is not the way to get help from Hobie Cat Co. Going to your dealer will be the place - and they will contact us. As far as I'm aware that never happened in this case, since we only just spoke about it this morning. Morgan says that the current kit that we are providing works - as proved with the instalation on 45 boats this week here at the office.

Perhaps it's possible that some kits were made incorrectly, that is always a possibility, since there is human involvement with packaging these kits - and they can make mistakes in the assembly of the kits themselves. However, if that happens, we will always take care of it.... getting a piece of longer line out to you would not be a difficult thing for us to do. But we have to be asked - and as far as I'm aware there wasn't a request for this from a dealer to the parts department, and I am replying to this post for the benefit of anyone who reads it - and for yourself. Hope that I can help if needed - feel free to e mail me directly if there is something else I can do, sounds like you've already solved the issue with your kit - again, we are very sorry that your trolley didn't work as intended. We are checking our inventory now, and have already taken corrective measures with regard to the type of knots that are pre-assembled, as well and making an update to the printed instructions. Lastly we plan to shoot a new tech video that we'll upload on our Youtube page when we get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got my trolly kit from Austin Kayak as well but it fits fine for me. It defiantly was tight but works fine. Just sharing my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The rope after being on my PA12 for weeks is 21' 4.5" long.
The loop of bungee that I had to add to the rope was 12".

The distance from one pully to the other pully, mesasured along the side of the kayak where the trolly rope would go is 11' 6". Double that length, add in the two rings with a short bungee betweem them, add in enough length to make knots on each end, and the rope still appears to be too short.

On the day I tried to install the trolly (I posted this originally on 8-3-12) and found the rope too short I called the fishing department at Hobie Cat and was told the dealer where I bought the trolly would have to make good on the item. I called Austin Kayak and they also called the fishing department at Hobie Cat and brought this to your attention. They did a great job of trying to help but we both concluded that sending me a rope from another kit that was also too short would not help.

I do not want to return the item, I installed it already on the kayak and replaced the rope so it would work correctly.

What did I want with all of this? I wanted the fishing department when I called (on or before 8-3-12) to respond to this issue so others were not going through this. I wanted the fishing department to address this issue when the dealer, Austin Kayak, contacted you (on or before 8-3-12) on the same day I did. Is it possible I received a rope that was cut too short by accident? Yes that is possible and from the reports of some others it appears that may be the case. Is 8-3-12 when you received two calls about this issue longer than 30 minutes? Yes it is, case closed.

I want you to make sure you are selling other kits with a rope too short and it sounds like you are trying to do that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After receiving the correct trolley kit for my PA12, I installed it and while it was definitely a bit of a stretch to get the second pulley mounted, I was able to do it and personally like the tight fit. It is a bit difficult to get the line wrapped around the fitting on the mounting board when deploying the anchor at roughly the center of the boat but again it can be done. I am sure things will loosen up over time and actually have to have some slack removed. The anchor trolley is a great system and improves the functionality of the boat tremendously. Thanks Hobie. :D