Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jordan Lake Meet Up
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jeremy,

I'll try to make it in the afternoon... probably not though. I'll be out there on Sunday for sure. I'm fllying in the AM tomorrow.

JJ,

Funny... I think...

In aviation we look at the radar, focus on the Metars and then we "see and avoid" T-storms... Weather is (as you can imagine) very unpredictable. Predicting wind? That's a tough one...

John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tried to post last night but looks like I didn't. I'm in Durham and just bought a 1984 Hobie 16 in great condition. Hoping to head out to Vista point this weekend and watch the CSC races and also just get used to sailing the cat. I've had a sunfish for a few years and decided to go bigger. Let me know if any of you are headed out there. I may or may not be solo.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

heelcat wrote:
Tried to post last night but looks like I didn't. I'm in Durham and just bought a 1984 Hobie 16 in great condition. Hoping to head out to Vista point this weekend and watch the CSC races and also just get used to sailing the cat. I've had a sunfish for a few years and decided to go bigger. Let me know if any of you are headed out there. I may or may not be solo.

Glad to see another new NC H16 sailor around! Welcome Heelcat! Check this out too: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=44879

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

heelcat wrote:

Hey, It's great to have another hobie at Jordan. I'm not sailing this weekend due to another event but I look foward to seeing you out there soon. There are quite a few of us who sail from Vista Point. So if there is any wind chances are good you'll run into a few hobies.

If you are interested there is a really good event at lake norman yacht club on 9/29. It's a distance race for fun and open to everyone.
http://www.lakenormanyachtclub.com/cont ... _id=211478

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Went to Jordan (vista point) on Saturday and it was fantastic! Perfect weather, about 85 and probably 15-20 mph.

My first time on my newly acquired Hobie 16 after sailing a sunfish for several years. Wow, was I in for a rude awakening. I thought I know how to sail. These things are insanely fast and powerful. I had lots of trouble tacking and I clearly need a lot of experience doing it properly on a cat. I didn't even bother trying to gibe. My main traveler kept getting caught and wouldn't slide properly even if I was fully uncleated from the traveler and the block for the main sheet. Might need to spray it down liberally with some graphite lube to see if I can improve performance.

I also wasn't able to fully raise the main sail but we figured that problem out after a day of sailing. There was some sail repairs on the bottom part of the main sail that was getting snagged so I couldn't fully pull the sail up and get the nubbin in between the two prongs up top. It sailed ok I just couldn't tighten the sail down and the boom was pretty low to the tramp.

Couple of questions:

I have a harken block on the main. Is there a way to loosen the tension on the ratcheting block in the center? It only rolls in one direction and so it doesn't easily let slack out. Or is on and off the only setting?

Also I've noticed that there is a new traveler assembly and track. Is it worth it to replace the old one? It looks like there are about 15-20 rivets I would need to remove and replace. I'm not really worried about the money. Just the ease of replacement. I'd rather upgrade and spend the money then worry about the traveler every time I go out.

Have fun,
Jim

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey hellcat - we all have a WTH moment on our first (and many after times out after the first time out on the boat. So... keep the questions coming)
Instead of graphite lube, which might attract particulates and make it worse, use a dry silicone spray. There are several on the market - I am trying one from Wal Mart from the RV dept but there are some marketed specifically for sailboats but trying this one as it is handy. Make sure the track is very clean and try the dry silicone. The right dry silicone in the sail track will also help raising the main.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Heelcat,

You can turn the ratchet on or off. On the older 5 to 1 block it was a small wheel that you turned one way for "on" and the other way for "off". The 6 to 1 block had a different method. With it off the sheave will turn freely in either direction.

To come about, make sure you leave the jib cleated, slack off the main about a foot and sail into the wind and around. Don't jam the tiller hard over. The jib will backwind, pushing the bow over. Wait until the main fills on the other side and then release the jib. I sometimes even let the main out further after the turn to allow me to get the jib set, then retighten the main.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dose any body with AIs/TIs also meet at Lake Norman or would those with Hobie Cats mind if I joined them on an AI.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok I'm curious what does Al/Tl mean?

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I am just going to order the new track and traveler and hopefully find someone around here in the triangle to install it for me over the winter. I'll probably be turning the ratchet off for now.

I checked out the other sail that I had and the luff on it is in excellent condition. Sail is white and boring so I wasn't that keen on putting it up. I'm going to go ahead and switch them and send the pretty multi-colored sail down to Hodges Street Sails in Oriental, NC and have them work on the luff.

Well see if we have some decent wind and sun again this weekend to try again.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

heelcat wrote:
I'm going to go ahead and switch them and send the pretty multi-colored sail down to Hodges Street Sails in Oriental, NC and have them work on the luff.

I've heard good things about Hodges. A friend sent his cruiser's sails there over the winter and was very happy with their work.

Do you have experience with them? Let me know how it goes and the costs - we need some luff work, stitching/conditioning, cleaning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

AI, Adventure Island. TI, Tandem Island.
http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaks/mirage/tandem-island/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Drewyaker wrote:
Dose any body with AIs/TIs also meet at Lake Norman or would those with Hobie Cats mind if I joined them on an AI.

I think it would cool to see an AI in action - where do you usually put in and what area do you usually sail?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sailed my AI with a couple of Hobie 16's last weekend. But no way I could stay with them in the gusts. Too much sail area, too fast for the AI. Nice fellows, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

When I'm near Charlotte on most weekends, just south of Mountain Island Lake, I usually go there because of low boat traffic and lots of beach areas to swim and hang out on. I just bought a map of Lake Norman and the Blythe Landing is close by and looks to be much more open to wind, so I plan to be putting in there some time soon.

I just saw this thread and thought it would be cool to sail with some others that happen to go out on Lake Norman. I actually live around Salsbury/Lexington, therefore I end up on Highrock a lot too.

Last edited by Drewyaker on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I want to go back to sailing on Lake Norman since it is closer to me than Jordan. I am in Winston Salem. I always launched at Ramsey Creek at Norman but the heavy boat traffic discouraged me so I started going to Jordan. I am hoping that off season boat traffic will be less. I kept a monohull in a marina on High Rock Lake but didn't care much for it there. The lake runs NW to SE so the usual summer SW wind comes across instead of down the lake. I also sailed at Oak Hollow many times since it is the closest to me. It is small and a Hobie 16 gets across it pretty fast. Wind direction there varies, sometimes changing 90 degrees abruptly as you sail out from the dock.

Best sailing is Kerr Lake but furthest away from me. I kept that monohull up there for 5 years and occasionally brought the Hobie up. Two hours drive just got to me.