Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fish Finder on Quest 11
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'Day All,

I have just picked up my new Quest 11 and am looking to putting a Lowrance Elite 5X on it and am looking for a location for it. I was looking at putting it between the foot wells up near the forward hatch on a ram mount which could then be interchanged with a rod holder when fishing skinny water.

Cheers from OZ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I mounted an elite 4 on my Revo11 recently: fantastic unit, I can only imagine the Elite5 would be that much better.

Looking at the layout of your quest...

The spot you mentioned sounds good.
You will need this mount: http://store.navico.com/Products/000-10909-001 it comes with the RAM ball so you could then get the rod holder attachment later on.

From my short experience thus far here are some helpful tips:
1. My elite4 has two ports on the back, one for power/transducer and one for optional accessories. I went to sea and got soaked, and the port that was left open got green with corrosion on the same day, dont let this happen to you. Cap the unused port with tape or a rubber cap like they sell for automotive vacuum ports.
2. Spend the time to drill and route the connections through the hull by the RAM mount, and seal the area with silicone. I tried to be lazy and run the cables through my front hatch and I took on water in the surf launch.
3. Installation of the transducer is a snap. I mounted mine to the inside of the hull just ahead of the round hatch between the legs. I used plumber's putty to secure it there and didnt have any problems with the accuracy of the readings (except for water temperature).

Good luck and post pics when you finish!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Blu,

Firstly, congratulations on your new kayak. I've had a go on the Quest 11, and I think they're fantastic.

If you'd like the sounder a bit closer, consider mounting it just forward of one of the pockets. That's where Revolution 11 owners tend to mount them, and that have a very similar hull.

Oatesy.