Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently got a 1987 Hobie 18 Magnum, and everything is great about it except that the white hulls look rather plain. The previous owner removed the Hobie decals as he didn't really like them. They were the all caps, large lettered style that said "HOBIE 18" across most of the length of the hulls. I can't find any pictures of it online, however. There is a very faint discoloration that reveals the decals were there, but it's only viewable at a sharp angle.

Where can I find this style of Hobie logo, or would I have to make my own? What material would I need to use if I had to make my own? I'd also be open to other suggestions to spice up these plain white hulls. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

inspector071 wrote:
I recently got a 1987 Hobie 18 Magnum, and everything is great about it except that the white hulls look rather plain. The previous owner removed the Hobie decals as he didn't really like them. They were the all caps, large lettered style that said "HOBIE 18" across most of the length of the hulls. I can't find any pictures of it online, however. There is a very faint discoloration that reveals the decals were there, but it's only viewable at a sharp angle.

Where can I find this style of Hobie logo, or would I have to make my own? What material would I need to use if I had to make my own? I'd also be open to other suggestions to spice up these plain white hulls. Thanks!

Just choose the logos you would like, go to a vinyl sign shop and have them printed and cut for you. ;0)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:58 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

You mean like this?:
(yes, I know that's a 20, but the logos were the same).

In any event, the best place for you to get something like that is a vinyl sign shop. I'm not sure what the font is - Adobe Caslon black italic comes close - the distinguishing feature is the lack of an upper serif on the lowercase "i".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm "all caps", you say? Was it something like this? (Bonus points for anybody who can identify the (boat) model). :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Actually, the decals aren't any of those. Imagine large, all caps, sans serif letters (type out HOBIE 18 in a large font size Arial Black in Word). Something like HOBIE 18 (I don't have the boat in front of me, but it may actually say HOBIE CAT instead of HOBIE 18, but I'm almost certain it says 18). The letters are at least twice the height of the Hobie H in Brian's picture. I may be able to photograph the faded pattern it left when they were removed.

So if I can design the letters and take the design to a vinyl shop, do I need to request a special adhesive backing or will the shop know what I need?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:18 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Found it:

The adhesive is nothing special. The vinyl is used on exterior signs and it's waterproof. You'll want to make sure the hull is very, very clean before applying it though.

Acetone followed by denatured alcohol in the area of the applique.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the advice with the vinyl. However, that still isn't the logo that was on the side of my boat. I checked out the boat this weekend and made a very rough drawing of what the logo looks like. I tried to get most of the proportions right.

Next time I'm home to check out the boat, I plan on getting detailed measurements and perhaps have some vinyl letters made.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is better :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

divimon2000 wrote:
This is better :)

Yeah, I like that a lot! Is there a pattern I can find for one that size?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They're cheap on ebay, you'd never be able to sketch one out, then have it cut locally for the price they sell them for (like $24). I got the biggie obviously. Search around.

I HATE putting them on, and have hot flashes when I need to do this job. I inevitably get bubbles and fold and re-apply, argghh. There is a "wet" way to apply them, float them where you want, then dry but can;t find that procedure anymore. The soap and water method does not work for me. Anyway, they get nicked and stuff soon, so it really doesn't matter.