Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Guys hello Im Diego, Im from SoCal and stationed in San Diego. I have had a kayak for the last 3 years but Im upgrading to the PA. Those of you who have the PA what are your feeling about the 12 and the 14? Please help.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For me, Little is Big. The 14 is just to darn big and heavy for me to try dragging around. The 12 is more manageable for lifting etc. Plenty of room in my 12 to carry all the stuff I carry.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you plan to trailer the boat, then go ahead and get the 14. It'll give you more room, more stability and more options without creating any additional work.

If you have to manhandle the boat or load it into your pickup bed or on top of a car, get the 12.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I SUV top with no problem. A trailer would be great tho.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a Hyundai Elantra (smaller car) and put my PA-12 on Yakima roof racks using a Yakina Boat Loader without a problem. I love the PA-12 but never owned or even used a PA-14.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine's the 14. I bought it two months before they announced the 12.

I'm 65 and have no trouble whatever getting it atop my Durango, whose bars are over six feet off the ground. Pulling it up a steep and slippery launch ramp is sometimes another issue, though. That's Seizure City, LOL!

The 14 has more storage, better side handle placement, and possibly better stability in return for a few pounds less weight. If they offered the 14 with the 12's improved seat it'd be a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a 12 and am very happy with it, for the most part.
The biggest thing that I dislike about the 12 is that there are these two little metal eyelets on each side of the boat that will rub against your rods when storing your rods in the horizontal rod storage.
After a few times out, the finish on my rods were all scratched up and in some places completely worn out.
I have no idea what these eyelets are for (besides for damaging rods) but probably will have to work around this problem by placing some foam padding over the eyelets during transportation.

Other than that the 12 is great. Easy to load/unload and very nimble. I haven't been in the new 14 but when I bought the 12 it was still at the introductory price at $2500 - so I consider it a steal.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The new model PA14 has the features of the PA12, but some will prefer the seat on the old model. It's wider, and allows you to turn sideways when fighting a fish.

There are still old model 14s available, but they won't last long.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Instead of starting a new topic on the same subject...I hope it's ok to post my question here. (It's my very first post!)

I sent to one of the offical Hobie dealers asking a few questions. They have a fantastic reputation on another website and all of my dealings with them (though limited) have been very positive.

I rented a 12 foot Pro Angler from them and it was quite an experience. I caught a very small fish. I was nervous when I passed by two ferry boats. I saw some waterfowl hiding in tall grass. I also was tired, as I am out of shape and turning the boat from a dead stop was an issue. (It was only my second tme in a Kayak.) I also wished I had an anchor in the boat, because current and wind were a bit of an issue.

I would appreciate you opnions on the questions on the dealer's answers that are on the bottom of this post. Thank you all for your consideration.'

This was the letter, questions and answers:

Earlier in the year (I think it was during the Sunday of Labor Day Weekend) I stopped by your store and rented one of those new Pro Angler 12 boats. The young man who I dealt with was very knowledgeable and encouraging. He even lent me a life jacket with my rental.

I was a little nervous as I was "heading out" especially when I was passed by a couple of ferry boats and a few over-zealous water skiers.

It was only my second time in a yak and I actually caught my first fish (a small snapper) within the two hours that I was out with the boat. Trust me...it was tiny, but it was an accomplishment for me.

I enjoyed the experience enough to finally want to buy one, but I am only going to do this once, so I came up with a few questions that I hope you will answer before I commit.

Q) What is the main difference between the 14 and 12 foot models?

A) The length and weight is the main difference. They both perform very well under similiar conditions with 12 being a bit more manageable to transport Is the 14 as stable or will it rock more? I haven't met you but I recommend the 14 to larger people who want to get on the water. The stability of both boats is similiar.

Q) I intend to purchase the Evolution engine with it (along with quite a few other extras) and I am wondering if the engine will have a harder time pushing the 14 than the 12. I know it can hold more, Any motor or engine will have a harder time pushing a heavier boat. I just want to know the trade-offs.

A) There are no trade-offs. What i would say is go with the boat you are most comfortable in. It is usually the size of the person that will make the difference in choosing a boat. I am 260lbs and very comfortable in the 12.

Q) While I felt comfortable in the 12 foot model, I found it a bit hard to steer when coming from a dead stop. Was this a result of my inexperience or is the 14 foot easier to maneuver?

A) The 12 actually maneuvers better than the 14. All the mirage drive boats need to be moving a bit to allow the rudder to operate better. A few quick strokes on the pedals will make the boat turn on a dime

Q) I do not have the luxury of an indoor garage. Will I be able to store this outside during the summer and warmer weather? Will I need a wooden or steel shed to store it in the winter? I would not want it to crack or warp.

A) If kept outside the boats should be placed upside down on something off the ground (saw horses or something similiar), and covered with a tarp to keep them from the sun in the summer and ice in the winter.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice. If I do get one of these it will be with you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a PA 14 and love it! It is super nice having the added stability and room in the 14. I spend a great deal of time standing up to sight fish. I actually stand and fish on the front and back of my 14 with no problem. I've fished w/one guy in the front seat plus another in a portable chair in the back and the 14 works great for 2 in calm water. I'm not sure if there is room in the smaller PA for 2?

I'm in great shape so lifting and loading the PA is no problem. Once I figured out a system for loading/unloading I've had no problem. I'm super glad I got my 14.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I Have the 14. I got it last month and had it out 3 times so far.

I'm 60 and have no trouble whatever getting it into the back the 8 foot bed of my 350 Dodge Truck. Pulling it is not bad no hills in Jacksonville, NC LOL!

The 14 has more storage, better side handle placement, the 14 with the 12's improved seat also folds up for more room when standing it'd be a no-brainer. I Love it and so glad that I got the I would say the Big Boy.

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14 (Dune)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

"If kept outside the boats should be placed upside down on something off the ground (saw horses or something similiar), and covered with a tarp to keep them from the sun in the summer and ice in the winter."

My 2009 PA-14 is kept outside all year, uncovered...BUT... right-side-up on 4 LandShark pads that are attached to 2 saw horses. It has suffered NO DEFORMATIONS from sitting on the pads...I was told by my dealer and Hobie, that because of the PA's weight and bulk it should never be stored upside down on the side rails. The correct way to store the PA's are either right-side-up or on it's end. I do agree though that the PA should be kept off the ground and covered with a tarp of some kind because it can be a pain in the a#% to have to scrub off bird poop and clean out leaves, pine straw, etc. on a daily basis. One of these days I'll get a tarp :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

FWIW... we have a 12 and a 14. The wife has the 12 and me the 14. We car top both of them. Not much difference in that. The one thing I will say is, if you plan to ever get a sail, go with the 14. BTW... the sail rocks! It's not a catamaran, and isn't built for speed, but as another means of motion it is very effective and just plain fun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

......... loading it into the back of a PU w/hitch extender is a breeze even for a fat out of shape 61 yo guy like me .... been doing it for over a year now even with a sore back and a ton of stuff that is on mine ..... loading it on the roof is more difficult but if you are young and inshape then it's not a problem for some that I know.

I like the 14 because it gives you the extra width, capacity and stability for just a couple more pounds difference in weight. I believe the 14 has a larger forward hatch and more rod storage too. Storage space and vehicle capacity may dictate the 12 though. I've also heard that the H bar won't fit the 12 but I haven't confirmed that.

Personally I like the 2012 models better than the new 2013 models. Don't like the new seat as much as the old 1. I like the older seat hatch better because it holds more and is not open to the bottom. I do like the reinforced scupper holes and that additional flotation. I'm not sure about the DF mounting system because it is not designed for a side scanning unit and is designed around Lowrance that requires a seperate box for sidescan. For me ....... bigger is better unless you are limited in your space to store it.

Oh ........ and there are some fantastic deals out there on the 2012 demonstrators if you look real hard you'll find 1. I know cause I did.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own the PA14. Go Big or go home is my moto.. Its a Battleship, so damn stabile and im 6 foot 228. Its fricking awesome, i can at anytime stand up and really crank those big BTB fish and sharks in. Never ever will i get another any other kayak. And i can get ino very skinny water and site cast with it aswell. It is a DAMN Beast!