Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My Wave has the standard clevis pins to secure the shrouds and forestay. While easy to use, I was curious if there other equally secure/safe pin options that allow quicker removal and re-inserting?

Post subject: Pins
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:34 pm 
Site Admin

Nothing is safer, but maybe a permanent pin with cotter key. I do not trust "quick" pins for standing rigging.

The only pin you should have to remove when rigging or de-rigging is the forestay connection, so one ring and clevis is not that bad is it?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Pins
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
The only pin you should have to remove when rigging or de-rigging is the forestay connection, so one ring and clevis is not that bad is it?

Matt - Thanks for the reply. I recently posted about my troubles stepping the mast. I could not get the forestay connection to reach the bridles without undoing the two shrouds, attaching the forestay and then going back and re-attaching the shrouds. Before I undid the shrouds, my forestay needed another 4-6 inches to reach the bridles.

Even though the shroud pin positions had not been changed since the boat was previously rigged on the dealer's lot, this probem occurred. I do not know why and was thinking that perhaps easier pin removal/insertion would save time in the event this occurs again in the future. I cannot understand how this happened. I will keep the standard clevis pins since they are the safest, but will have to practice rigging the mast and forestay to see if it's me or the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The best of the quick type pins is the toggle pin. It is easy to use and not prone to fall out if the holes in your adjuster are worn slightly. I'm not sure if Hobie stocks them. You will want to use a wire lanyard to keep this part from being lost or borrowed. If I can locate one, I will let you know where I have found it.

Post subject: Halyard
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Hook the main halyard to the bow tang or better yet the trailer mast stand. Step the mast and tension the halyard to hold the mast upright. One bit of caution, the bridle tang is very close to the mast, so the halyard has to be very tight to hold the mast up at that angle. Get off the boat and pull harder on the halyard to pull tension on the rig and pin the forestay. Certainly easier process with two people, but it can be done by one. If I have a second person, I walk out in front of the boat with the halyard and pull hard till the other person pins the forestay as low as they can in the adjuster.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: Re: Halyard
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
Hook the main halyard to the bow tang or better yet the trailer mast stand. Step the mast and tension the halyard to hold the mast upright. One bit of caution, the bridle tang is very close to the mast, so the halyard has to be very tight to hold the mast up at that angle.

(EDIT: Nevermind this message below - I figured this out. See my other post in the "Mast Stepping Not so easy" thread.)

Matt - Thanks again for addressing my issue as I learn more about the boat and Hobies, in general. When you say hook the main halyard to the "bow tang", what are you referring to by "bow tang"? You also mention the "bridle tang"? I am not really clear on the term "tang" and what you're referring to. Apologies for my ignorance...